question about WWl draft registraton cards

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tarsiap

question about WWl draft registraton cards

Post by tarsiap » 25 May 2010, 11:10

Is there any way to find out what the range of height was on the WWl draft registraton cards? How tall was someone considered to be if he was tall, medium or short? I haven’t been able to find this information anywhere. 8O Thanks for any help you can give me. :cry:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: question about WWl draft registraton cards

Post by johnnyonthespot » 25 May 2010, 11:33

You would think so, but I have not been able to locate any source which defines the ranges used for short, medium, tall.

Have you researched naturalization documents and/or passport applications for your ancestor? Both of these generally list height in feet and inches.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot » 25 May 2010, 11:35

johnnyonthespot wrote:...
Have you researched naturalization documents and/or passport applications for your ancestor? Both of these generally list height in feet and inches.
And include photos too!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 » 25 May 2010, 11:42

Some WWI draft registration cards do have height in terms of ft and inches, wheres others just say short, medium, or tall. Some passenger lists I have list the height in ft and inches. I have an ancestor listed as medium height on his WWI draft registration card and on his passenger list is listed as 5 ft 3 1/2 inches. I don't know if the height on the WWI was his response to the person asking the questions or the interviewer's perception of the registrant's height.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 » 25 May 2010, 13:18

Was anyone here in the military? I dont know if terminology changed from then to now but I can ask my husband who was in the Marines what the standards were 10 years ago. Maybe Ill have some luck

Alicia

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 » 25 May 2010, 19:22

Well according to my husband, as of 10 years ago in the military there was no category of short, medium, or tall. It was precise measurement. Everybody was measured right down to the 1/4 inch. So nobody was labeled but an accurate measurement was used.

Alicia