Naturalization Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Naturalization Records

Post by MST995 »

Hello again folks! After being informed that I could not have a certified copy of my GGF's naturalization record from the county (NARA does not have the record), the county clerk told me she would "send/certify" what she was allowed to legally. I received in the mail copies of 4 items: The petition for naturalization, the oath of allegience, the certificate of arrival, and what looks to be an index card with my great grandfather's name, address, age and signature on it. All of the documents have the raised seal, but only the oath of allegience is "certified" with the county clerk's stamp and signature. It looks like this is the best I will be able to get, does anyone know if the consulate will accept these as proof of naturalization? Aside from this I'm in pretty good shape as far as douments go. Thanks guys!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I think you will be fine.

The signing of the Oath of Allegiance is, in fact, the actual moment of naturalization and this is the most important of the documents you received. It says that this was the date that your GGF became a US citizen and gives the number of the Certificate of Naturalization which was assigned to him.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

Good deal! Then I won't waste any more of my time on it. Did you drive up to Albany to get your Apostilles or did you mail them to the sec. of state? I've spent so much money on these certified copies that I'm thinking about just taking a day off in Jan or Feb and going for a ride. I don't trust USPS enough.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I had documents from New Jersey, New York, Florida, and Connecticut.

Florida allows you to request apostilles when ordering the base document. So, for both the birth certificate (my son) and the death certificate (my father), it was a one-step process from my viewpoint.

For the others, I mailed them off to the relevant Secretary of State office and took my chances.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Naturalization papers do not require the Apostille of the Secretary of State because they were not created by the State. They were created by the Federal government. You already have everything you need regarding Naturalization. Just go with it as is. The Consulate must and will accept it.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

jennabet wrote:Naturalization papers do not require the Apostille of the Secretary of State because they were not created by the State. They were created by the Federal government. You already have everything you need regarding Naturalization. Just go with it as is. The Consulate must and will accept it.
You are correct, of course. I answered the question about getting apostilles without bothering to consider which documents we were talking about and whether or not they were actually necessary in this case.

Must have been the Jack Daniels talking... :oops:
Carmine

MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

Thank you both, I already knew the naturalization records don't need an apostille, I was talking about the other docs (birth certs, etc). I knew Carmine had applied in NY so I just wanted to see if he had the experience of going to the secretary of state in person up in albany. Fortunately for me, everything in my family happened in NY state outside of the 5 boroughs so document collection has been a breeze, but expensive through vitalchek (AKA the lazy man's way :oops: ); so I am considering taking a drive up to albany rather than trust the post office with $400 worth of docs. I think I'll go up there when I'm not working 7 days a week and when I do I'll let all the NY applicants know how it went. Thanks again for your help guys.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

There is an office in New York City which you can use as well:
New York City Office - You may bring your document to the Department of State’s New York City Office at 123 William Street, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10038 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for authentication. The telephone number is (212) 417-5684.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html
Carmine