apt in 2 weeks...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

apt in 2 weeks...

Post by SChiarini »

Hi all

I have my appointment in New York in 2 weeks and I'm just trying to make sure I have all my paperwork..

My question is -- since i'm going through GGF--GM--F-- Me

does my Father have to apply first and then myself?

I originally made the apt a year ago and would hate if I had to wait until May 2011 because my Father had to apply before I could myself...

Unless I can call the consulate and tell them the apt is for my father instead? (although he has NO clue what to say as I am the one who has been doing all the research and document collection for the past year)

Starting to freak a bit...

ALSO,

I ordered the 1930's census that states my GGF was an alien at the time (April 1930) however, my grandmother (who i am trying to obtain citizenship though) was born in July,,,, so is the 1930's census a waste to have?

My GGF died in 1932 so I'm not even sure if a 1940 census would suffice?

Thanks!

Stephanie
mler
Master
Master

Re: apt in 2 weeks...

Post by mler »

Stephanie, I'm assuming that you have statements of "no record" for your ggf, because although some consulates do request a census as additional confirmation, they insist on the letters.

When I applied in NY, it was possible for a child to apply without his parent's doing so first. Some have reported that NY is now insisting that the parent apply (which, frankly, is not a requirement of the law). I suggest that you hedge your bets. Take your dad with you--for moral support. Have him fill out an application as well. Then if they insist that he apply first, he can whip out his application. Who knows--they may accept both of them if you ask nicely and they are in a particularly good mood. Best of luck.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

thank you!

yes i have multiple statements of "no records"-- hoping the census is not required but will be accepted as a possible back up..

how long ago did you apply for your citizenship? that is why I am worrying because NY is supposable reporting the parent apply first.... when you say fill out an application- what exactly do you mean?

thanks so much!

steph
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I applied about four (five? - already I forget) years ago. At that time, I was with my son, and they told me that it would be best if I applied in Newark first (my jurisdiction), and then after my citizenship was recognized, my son should apply. I told them "no." If they wanted me to apply in Newark, I would do so, but my son was applying now. They took his application and somehow in the intervening year, my application followed my son's for processing, and we both received citizenship.

There really is nothing in the law that mandates a parent applying before a child. In fact, my father--who never applied--is still living. That is why they have the "Declaration of Living Ascendent." However, if they insist, it's better to go along with them. I think that if your father has no desire to obtain citizenship, they really have to accept your application and your father's declaration, but if your dad wants citizenship too, they may want to process the applications in sequence.

All the forms can be downloaded from the NY consulate website. I believe that the applicant completes Forms 1 and 2.

You and your dad can both fill out these forms. Don't worry about the two of you being there together. You can say that you've done the legwork, and that is why you're there. It's possible that they may accept your application too because all you add to the process is another bc. It certainly simplifies things, but they will do what they want to do.