Date discrepancies.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Date discrepancies.

Post by mike123 »

I have a situation like that of the monkeys. All my documents show my GGF as being a year older than he really is. naturalization birth death marriage etc. but none of these can be changed because of the age of the records. what can be done? they dont show his birth date but they do state him as a year older. what should I do? they are all municipal archive records.
timo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by timo »

mike123 wrote:I have a situation like that of the monkeys. All my documents show my GGF as being a year older than he really is. naturalization birth death marriage etc. but none of these can be changed because of the age of the records. what can be done? they dont show his birth date but they do state him as a year older. what should I do? they are all municipal archive records.
Are you saying that you have an italian birth certificate with one birth date, and that not one of the US documents (naturalization, death, marriage [if he was married here]) gives his date of birth but simply states his age at the time? Do you have a baptismal certificate?
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mike123 »

no the italian birth certificate has everything on it but the NYC certificates just state an age at the time of the events
timo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by timo »

My grandfather's naturalization petition form reads on line #3:

I was born in____________ on_______ My race is _______

with the blanks filled in appropriately. On your GF's petition for naturalization, there's no date of birth there, just an age? Or does your Petition for Naturalization not read that way at all?
piccola_pampina

Post by piccola_pampina »

Hi everyone!

Usually I don't post on this site, just read info, so fairly new here. This post really interested me because I have some of the same issues.

My great-great grandfather (Joseph) never naturalized, and I am applying through him. According to his Italian birth certificate, he was born Nov. 17, 1868. All of his information checks out correctly consistently throughout my documents. However, on my great grandfather's (edward) BC he states he was born in Italy, but on my great grandfather's marriage, it states he was born in the US.. even though he has an Italian birth certificate. On Joseph's death certificate, it states he was born in Italy. Believe me, this has confused me.

What further confuses me is that Joseph's birth date is missing entirely from his death certificate, BUT there is an age.

On my great great grandmother's death certificate (Gilda) her birth year is off by 1 year and 4 days. Her Italian birth certificate says June 18, 1869, but her death certificate states it as June 22, 1868.

All of the other information, as I said on the documents check out correctly. My theory is that yes records were kept, but things such as births were not always registered immediately. Sometimes I think people actually didn't even know their true birth dates judging by the countless number of stories I've read just like mine and sceaminmonkey. Discrepancies in the month, day, and year are not really that uncommon with older documents.

I am not really sure if anything can be done about my great-great grandfather's birth date on his DC, as it's from 1940.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

You need to amend where it is stated he was born in USA, ask vital statistic how to make amendament, also on your great great grandmother, you need to amend her date of birth.
ALL THE DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE CLEAR WITH NOT DISCREPANCIES AT ALL, OTHERWISE YOUR APPLICATION MAY BE DENIED OR PUT IN A STAND BY STATUS UNTIL YOU FIX ALL DISCREPANCIES
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
piccola_pampina

Post by piccola_pampina »

Thanks ricbru.

I'll see what NYC says about being able to make those changes. Hopefully they're not too old.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

The only way to correct a certificate of death from NYC in 1940 is to toto court as it belongs to the municipal archives. You can contact the achieves and ask for a letter stating it can't be changed. My ggf died in 1940 as well and it also just states an age