Ran into possibly huge roadblock today

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Ran into possibly huge roadblock today

Post by beauac »

And at the worst time when my appointment is less than 1 month away. So I pulled up my great grandfathers marriage certificate and death certificate in the state of CT. Turns out his father is listed as Louis Caruso and his mother as Mary Luopo on the document. The names should be Luigi Caruso and Speciosa Lupo. I asked the town clerk(town thugs the way they loook and act down there :? ) about amending it. He did not know and called on the phone to a lovely moron in the state capital who told me a bunch of crap like it will probably never be amended (and she said it quite happily) and that if it was written as Louis then that was obviously his name, even though all of the documents I have say Luigi. She told me that she knows I want Italian dual citizenship like all the Italian Americans and that Italy does not dictate what this state does to its documents. So much crap.

Please tell me. What do I do. Clock is ticking...

Will consulate deny me if they are not amended. Should I show up without them?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Ran into possibly huge roadblock today

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I'm hardly an expert and I'm sure someone here will offer better qualified advice, but I'd go to the appointment and see what they say. From what I understand they will want you to amend them, but you might as well take advantage of the appointment you have to find out for sure.

Of course, that's coming from someone who cannot even get an appt. scheduled at my local consulate, so maybe that is coloring my advice.

Keep at it though!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Worst case is the consulate will tell you what they need to see done. I don't believe that Louis/Luigi will be an issue; the mother's name may be a bit more dicey, but they might also ignore it entirely.

The consulate will almost never blow you off with an absolute No!, rather they will tell you what needs to be corrected and then set another follow-up appointment.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Why cant you get an appointment?

How can they make amending a record an impossibility. She told me I will have to prove that Louis is the wrong name. I said all of his legal records and say Luigi and the crap she then said was not even worth remembering. She said they have never allowed a record to be amended in a similar situation before. The worst part was her attitude, her saying that her office is not out to please Italy. Wtf.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

My local consulate isn't scheduling appointments b/c they say they are too backed up. They are supposed to be opening appointments up in 2012, but you can't schedule for 2012 until 2011 or some nonsense. I've been trying to get an appt since June.

As for the gov't lady, it seems like she has some issues. What kind of BS, is the whole "I know all Italian-Americans want Italian citizenship" line. Sounds like borderline discrimination or something.

Here in PA, I believe you can correct any document by presenting the birth cert. But I haven't had to do that. My GGF used his baptismal name as his middle name over here, but kept his first and last name the same, so I haven't tested that theory.

From what I've heard the biggest thing is the last name staying consistent, but again, other posters know a lot more than I do. I'd trust Johnny on the Spot, he seems quite knowledgeable about this whole frustrating process.

Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

2012. Holy shit. It almost makes sense to move to another jurisdiction just to have a new address to apply at a different consul. I really lucked out then I guess with the Nov 8th but I seriously doubt ill be ready. Birth certificate from Italy is supposed to arrive at that time or possible two weeks later.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Just now more closely observed my grandfathers birth certificate more closely, even there is a mistake. They wrote his name out as Antony instead of Anthony. Jesus man, theres no way I am changing all of this sh*t. Why were they so damn sloppy and careless back then, makes me furious.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I think it fair to say that everyone who applies in NYC ends up having to return to the consulate at least once and often twice (I was twice), so your situation will not be unusual. You go with what you have and at least can find out for certain what you are missing and what needs to be amended.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

I see. Yeah I guess its not the biggest deal but very stressful and annoying. When they ask you to come back do you have to reschedule through the phone and see when you can get another appointment or do they give you a special date right there?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

They have a separate appointment calendar for re-visits; they estimate how much time you will need to do whatever was asked and then find an appointment in that time frame.

Some things they let you do by mail...
Carmine

mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I went back once. As Carmine notes, this is pretty much typical. I don't think you'll have a problem with the Anthony/Antony error, but you never know. Best of luck. Let us know what happens.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I've asked this before but I am hearing different things. Are they likely to be sticklers for minor first name discrepancies? Carmine and mler u guys think it's not a big deal? And Carmine I'm curious . What did you have to return for . Did you post after your visit?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

........She told me that she knows I want Italian dual citizenship like all the Italian Americans and that Italy does not dictate what this state does to its documents. So much crap.........

Indeed. There are SO many of us. Just think. If we all went back to Italy, we could make a serious dent in the economy and Miss Mayflower, the lovely moron working in the state capital, might not have a job.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

If it comes down to it, you can try a court order. that is something that I am looking in to for NYC certificates because of date discrepancies. I am not sure on how to go about the process for NYC but I contacted the bar association of NYC. I suggest you contact the CT bar association and look in to a lawyer to change the vital records. I would prepare yourself and get the name of a lawyer at least and find out fees and possibilities. it cant hurt to prepare yourself. But so far no one has steered me off the wrong path and I would trust advice that Carmine and Mler give.

https://www.ctbar.org/About%20the%20CBA/Contact.aspx

CT bar just in case.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Thanks guys I will try that. I am not going to lose Italian Citizenship because of a small stupid thing like this!