Early 20th century and mistakes on documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Early 20th century and mistakes on documents

Post by beauac »

This thread is half serious and half just venting. I am so fed up with these mistakes on old records. Today I received my gggrandparents divorce records and wow what a doozy. On all my records my ancestor is called Luigi and then later on Louis. Now today I have seen a new one: Lueay. I guess when you say it out loud it equals Louis. Seriously didnt the clerks back then write down the information and not the immigrants? Shouldn't they have been educated and able to write down things correctly? What pisses me off is that when I ask the town clerk morons to correct something they always say the same bs, that if it is on the document it must be correct. :evil:
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Early 20th century and mistakes on documents

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its very frustrating. But this is what happens with language barriers. I have tons of documents with misspelling, wrong dates, etc. and your at the mercy of the state dept as to whether they will amend or not.It stinks!