Debating whether to quit my quest for Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Debating whether to quit my quest for Italian citizenshi

Post by phil100a »

A lot of this depends on the consulate. My experience (recent) was that as long as I had my grandfather's (and father's) information correct, it would be OK. As it is, I was sweating it when I went to the Consulate, because my grandmother's death certificate (in America) had her age of death listed wrong. the Consul said "no problem". Also, my father's given name had been misspelled on his birth certificate (they had reversed two letters). Again, the Consul said, "no problem".

When I first went for my appointment, there was also a problem with one of the translations; the Consul said "this definitely will not do!". My heart sunk. However, all at once the Consul said "you can get this corrected with a local translator; here is a list of translators", and they gave me another appointment one month away. I came back in and everything was approved. I asked the Consul about the process; I was told that they want to see that people are trying, and really sincere about the process. IN my case, I want to maybe make a business investment in Italy, but I am also highly motivated to learn more about my roots, and very proud of my Italian heritage. I waited a long time for an appointment, and I really *wanted* to accomplish this goal. I think most Consuls take that into consideration.

If someone comes in with a bunch of error, no explanations for those errors, no rationales, documents missing, etc. they're going to get turned away. My advice: stay with it; you have some good advice here, and I would also VERY IMPORTANT - call or write your Consul about certain errors that are of concern to you. Write to ask about how much wiggle room they permit; ask what their bottom line is on a document that has certain errors, like misspellings, or dates, names that are obvious clerical errors. You might be surprised by the help you get. Show sincerity; show that you want it; be very polite (the Consuls are badly understaffed, and work very hard); do these things and don't quit. Eventually, you will succeed. Wishing you the very best of luck!
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Great advice Phil!

Thanks
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Phil, I would gather that you are second generation because your case involves your grand-father and father. Therefore, I would venture to say you may also be a little older, and maybe closer to retirement and might have some means to be an asset to Italy if you were to live there and contribute to the economy. No doubt, the consulate found you to be very serious about being recognized.

I do have a 28 year old cousin. She is third generation so is claiming through her great-grandfather but she lives in Rome and is engaged to marry an Italian police officer and is having her case recognized in Italy.

The advice I have for those who are third and fourth generation is not to give the impression that you want an Italian passport so you can live and work in an English speaking country in the EU and not in Italy. Like Phil said, you should show an interest in getting to know your relatives in Italy and you should seem knowledgeable about the Italian culture even if you don't speak the language. Most important is to be proud of your roots.

The first time I went to Italy 25 years ago, I was shocked that the people still looked like me and my American relatives. Coming from the "Melting Pot", I thought, "Oh well, 100 years have gone by; surely the Italians are not the same". But they haven't changed and any Italian to whom I explained my first impression seemed to become emotional and expressed total sympathy for my feelings. Even some staff at the consulate.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Do NOT give up. ...

I'm writing my update on your thread first.

Last week I received a letter that I had to change municipal archives documents, or get a letter.

Now - this was one week before my mother and my brother had their appointments (which they had today).

I took a few days off of work last week - so I could live at the Municipal Archives and Marriage Records department downtown. I had a second application w/ all copies of birth/death/marriage from my GGF down to self - both sides of the family.

The document I needed to change was a Marriage Record from 1904, there were errors on the Mothers name (non line) yet this is a required document for the application, so this needed to be "changed" or "corrected".

They had to create a new document to be placed in the system. Which they did - it took over an hour. So they asked if I could come back the following first thing in the morning (8:30am). I had to supply certified documents for all the new required fields that are displayed in the system, than the limited records from 1904 (older docs showed less information, for example marriage parties parental information for example, etc). I had new the document created and changed in an hour. Now, how was this possible? I had a letter from the Italian Consulate requesting that I have this document changed. I do not believe that this would have been done without some sort of goverment request (and pleading).

The Birth Certificate was different, that I had to send to Vital Records - which I am still waiting to hear back from. Ms Timbers handles those cases - Since I had less than 1 week to change the birth certificate I sought out other options. I had to go to the Municipal Archives every day for 4 days - to finally get someone to have Mr Kenn Kobb meet with me. Now, I suggest just ask to schedule an appointment with him directly. He's super nice and easy going.

I, yet again - supplied documentation to show what the errors were, and what they should be. He created me the required letter that I needed. With no hassle - which he certified and I had apostilled and translated. The director Lenore will not do this for you, ask to speak to her supervisor who is Mr Ken Kobb.

Lastly, my brother and mother had their appointment this morning at 9am & 9:30 respectively. They were taken in together - as I went to a coffee shop around the corner. Nearing 10am my brother called me, and asked that I joined the meeting, for I put both their applications together and it would be quicker if I was there.

I ran over and noticed that in an hours time - they only got to the USCIS section of no record! The rest of the application went through very smoothly. He even brought up my application and attached it with the updated document which I used for my brother & mothers application. So, even though I requested for a new appointment - I was able to piggy back off theirs (which I did not once ask for or mention my own application - aside from saying, I applied hence why I knew to change certain documents, etc).

We had a very successful application submittal - which he said that the full application looks very solid we would hear shortly.

Side note - I went to see two different lawyers last week - they were NO help. I suggest bringing the letter you receive (if you do) from the consulate and work with the records department to correct any errors.

Good luck!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Congratulations. I think it's a plus that your living ascendant was able to attend.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Jenna - I think so too.

The atmosphere of the meeting felt a lot different. Which could be because I was more familiar with how the meeting went down. Or, because I had already changed the majority of the errors - it went a lot smoother. Or, it could have just seemed that way for it was 3 on 1. Ha! :)

I do agree that they enjoy seeing that someone has put both time and effort into their application and is taking the whole process seriously. I was spoken to a lot differently than the first time. Almost with more respect? I have to say, I'm really happy with how it went yesterday.