Lovin' Napoli - obtaining your own estratto di nascita

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maria:)

Re: Lovin' Napoli - obtaining your own estratto di nascita

Post by maria:) »

thankyou ever so much will let you know when we hear :) thankyou again
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Happy to help. I'm betting that she will get it very soon. Despite Napoli's reputation for inefficiency, I have never had a problem dealing with them. They responded within two weeks of my request.

BTW, I did send a self-addressed envelope (no money, no stamp), but they didn't use it, so don't bother.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I don't know if this helps but I sent out, via snail mail, to Catania, Sicily requesting my birth record about two weeks ago and got it back yesterday morning. I think it is worth a shot to send the letter and see what happens.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

mler,
I have written via registered mail that very office three times since Aug 2010 and no reply at all. I've also emailed them twice. I am trying to obtain a copy of my great grandmother's birth certificate. In your experience, could the utter lack of acknowledgement be due to either of these three factors: that I don't know the district in Napoli Citta where she was born and/or the record has been destroyed and/or they couldn't find anything and haven't sent a no-records ltr? I've read previous posts alluding to destroyed records; are there some years that the Ufficio dello stato civile is missing completely? Her birth date is 1884. (Unfortunately, the provinical archives records stop at 1865.) Anyway, any insights would be appreciated.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Was your grandmother born in Napoli proper? I ask this because my husband has two different birth certificates--one says he was born in Napoli, the other lists the small town outside of Napoli where he was actually born. His actual certificate, however, is registered in the small town. Might this be the case with your ggm?

My gf, however, was born within the city of Naples, and I did not have any idea where, so I doubt you need to provide information about a district within the city. From what I've heard, they are not too responsive to e-mail requests. The only thing I can suggest is that you try again, but don't send it through registered mail. All my correspondence with Naples has been through regular, first-class snail mail. I can't think of any reason that registered mail would be a problem, but who knows how such mail is handled in Italy.

Generally, they should respond if they don't find a record, but maybe it would be a good idea to specifically ask them to do so.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

sforza--I Just wanted to share my experience with Napoli and give you this advice. I had to obtain my GGF birth certificate from naples. I had two companies contact them twice and I was told both times that nothing can be found. I finally had Riccardo bruno call them a BUNCH of times and all the sudden the certificate turned up. So actually I am not giving any new advice except remain really persistent with Napoli. if you have not heard dont give up on them. take Mlers advice and send a letter but I would also suggest calling or finding someone who knows italian to call for you.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

For reference: Riccardo Bruno is forum member "ricbru". He is located in Trento in the northern part of Italy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Thanks, everyone. I will keep trying. I think the rub is that I actually have no evidence that she was born in Napoli proper, other than the brief genealogy one of her daughters wrote stating that they were born and living in Naples and that their father was a sea captain. I did confirm, however, that even though her parents were married in Palermo, none of their children were born in Palermo. So I have no evidence at this point to determine that she was or wasn't born in Naples. I did a surname search and sent a couple more letters to Comunes w/significant density of the last name as well.