Where Do I Look?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lesley O

Where Do I Look?

Post by lesley O »

I am trying to trace my great-grandfather Oreste Castagnari. He originated from Italy but where we do not know, he was born in 1868 and died on 5 Feb 1932 aged 36. He married my great-grandmother in 1895 in London England. His father is Joseph Castagnari but that is as much we know about his family. He was an interpreter by trade and we believe he worked on ships before arriving in London. Where can i look to find out when and where or how he arrived into the UK as this will give me a starting block in researching his Italian ancestry?
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Where Do I Look?

Post by NOLATom »

lesley O wrote:I am trying to trace my great-grandfather Oreste Castagnari. He originated from Italy but where we do not know, he was born in 1868 and died on 5 Feb 1932 aged 36. He married my great-grandmother in 1895 in London England. His father is Joseph Castagnari but that is as much we know about his family. He was an interpreter by trade and we believe he worked on ships before arriving in London. Where can i look to find out when and where or how he arrived into the UK as this will give me a starting block in researching his Italian ancestry?

Born 1868, died 1932 age 36. Are talking about two different people or was he 64?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This record at the UK National Archives may or may not be of interest: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... ssmethod=0

Click the "Ordering and viewing options" button for more information.

You may also wish to review this research guide: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... grants.htm
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
stublad

Post by stublad »

lesley O wrote:I am trying to trace my great-grandfather Oreste Castagnari. He originated from Italy but where we do not know, he was born in 1868 and died on 5 Feb 1932 aged 36. He married my great-grandmother in 1895 in London England. His father is Joseph Castagnari but that is as much we know about his family. He was an interpreter by trade and we believe he worked on ships before arriving in London. Where can i look to find out when and where or how he arrived into the UK as this will give me a starting block in researching his Italian ancestry?
Hi Lesley,

I've just started to research into my family also and it appears we are both related to Oreste Castagnari (although he would be my great great grandfather). I'm related through him via his son Joseph who is my great grandfather. We are trying to trace his Italian roots as we wish to go back and visit where we come from and maybe see if we have any long lost relatives living in the area also.

There might be some confusion here because of Oreste's father being named Joseph and his son being named Joseph but his son Joseph was born in 1896 and his full name is Joseph Oreste Castagnari.

According to Oreste Castagnaris marriage certificate he lists his fathers name simply as Joseph Castagnari. This might be why it's been kind of confusing.

I'm guessing Joseph never came over from Italy when Oreste came to London so we need to search in Italian records. Ancestry.co.uk is proving hard to find them on though.

Please let me know if you had any success with this as we are both looking for the same thing it seems :)

- Stuart
ohanlon

Post by ohanlon »

Hi Stuart
Good to hear from you. Like you we are not having much luck in researching Oreste Castagnari, we have searched the 1911 census which states his birth place as Italy with no other location. Also on his death certificate gives us no other clue at all. We do know he was born on around 1868 as he was 66 when he died on 5/2/1932. He was married in 1895. He is interred at the Camberwell New Cemetery in a public grave so we cannot look there for his date of birth. We have also searched passenger lists, naturalization records with no luck at all. We have been researching this for some years now with no success so any information you could pass on would be helpful.

My grandmother is Fenella Castagnari (Moore) she would have been the sister of your great grandfather Joseph Castagnari. My father is one of her sons James (Jim) so Joseph would have been his uncle. My dad is so pleased you have got in touch and would love to hear any news of the family, my email address is as follows: lesley.ohanlon@btinternet.com please contact me on this and I will forward onto my dad.

We think to make any progress with this we must find out where Oreste was born, we do know he was a waiter by trade but could speak more than one language fluently and nan always said he was an interpreter for government officials, whether we can check this out somehow I don't know. Nan also use to say that he did come from an influential background in Italy but this is also something we don't know how to research. Anyway I hope you are having more luck than we are, look forward to hearing from you.

Lesley
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

the 1911 UK census may give his twon of birth.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.