Apostrophe Trouble!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Apostrophe Trouble!

Post by williamsburger »

I know I just posted on a similar topic, but I am really having a nightmare with my grandmother's birth NYC certificate. My line of lineage is self: mother: grandmother: great-grandfather, so her paperwork is a vital part of the process.

My ancestral name is D'Addario, and the usage of the apostrophe has been remarkably consistent across the generations... except, of course, on my grandmother's birth certificate, where the apostrophe disappears. It's also missing in my great-grandmother and great-grandfather's names on this document, even though it appears on all their paperwork, from their birth certificates in Italy to their death certificates in America. I think this must have occurred because the document was handwritten (note that it also lists my great-grandmother's occupation as "house white.")

How would you suggest that I proceed? I have all sorts of documentation with her correct name, but this single piece of paper -- of course it's the last one I received -- is causing me headaches.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Apostrophe Trouble!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

So, are you saying the name on her birth certificate is written Daddario?

I can 't promise anything, but I think a reasonable consulate (not all of them are) will give you a pass. Worst case, you apply to get the certificate amended. Which state issued the birth certificate and what year was she born?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

Carmine, you're correct: Daddario instead of D'Addario.

My grandmother was born in 1924, in New York City. It SEEMS like, according to their website, I could theoretically get it changed -- but I'm not sure, since she's deceased. Based on what it says on their site, I could make a change by providing:
1. Parent’s passport
2. Parent’s marriage record if parents were married before child’s birth (New York State does NOT recognize common law marriage)
3. Parent’s naturalization certificate
4. Birth certificate of an older brother or sister

The first doesn't exist; the third was created after she was born; and my grandmother was the firstborn child. I have her parents' marriage certificate from Italy, but I'm afraid to give it to them because it's my only copy. Maybe if I go down to the offices in person, they'll make a copy and return it to me.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I hate to bring this up, but is it safe to say that your mother was born on or after January 1, 1948? If not, well, you have a much more important problem...

I would certainly make an effort to correct the birth certificate if possible. If it cannot be done, ask the NYC vital records people to give you a letter which explains the reason why.

One option for the great-grandparents marriage certificate would be to have a photocopy made on oversize paper (legal paper, for example) and then at the bottom have a (preferably) New York licensed Notary Public certify that "the above is a true copy of an original document blah blah blah". Take both to the NYC vital records office and offer to give them the notarized copy after they have reviewed both it and the original.

Of course, time permitting, you could simply get another origianl copy from Italy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I had my fathers 1929 NYC birth certificate corrected with no hassel at all. My father is also deceased. They changed the last names of my grandparents to the correct spelling. I had to go the NYC dept of health, vital records corrections office to have it done. As long as you have supporting documentation, they will make the correction for a $40 fee.
I hope this helps and good luck,
Drew