Italian Passport Process

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Passport Process

Post by LoveJesus22 »

1-I wanted to know about the passport process...i mean what are the steps for a passport application...do the applicant go and fill an application only with some photos ?....or the consulate must contact the Questura first to authorize the passport of the applicant and hence the applicant apply for the passport...

2-Will the name in the Passport be the same as the one in the birth certificate or in the passport they write the name and the family name only ?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Passport Process

Post by johnnyonthespot »

1) At some consulates, such as New York City, all you need to do is go online to make a passport appointment and then show up with two passport photos and your letter of recognition previously received. See http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... assaporti/.

Many other consulates require the applicant obtain a copy of his/her Italian birth registration from the ancestral comune before proceeding with a passport. This process often and inexplicably takes many, many, months. However once the birth registration is in hand, the actual passport procedure is fast and painless.

There are special requirements if you have minor children, regardless of whether you are applying for passports for them in addition to your own.

2) The name on the passport will be exactly as it appears on your original birth certificate. For married women, there is the option to include the "Cognome coniuge/Spouse's surname" on page 4 of the passaporto. I highly recommend doing so as it may be the only way to convince an aiport official (for example) that the person named on the Italian passport is the same person named on other travel documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
heidebock
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heidebock »

Carmine, do you happen to know the process for San Francisco? I checked the website and didn't see anything saying you needed to bring a copy of your Italian Birth Certificate, but maybe I missed something?

So, assuming you don't have to have the Italian BC's, then you wait for your letter of recognition, then apply for your passport. Once you receive your letter of recognition, are you already registered in AIRE? Or does this happen during/after the passport process?

thanks

Erik
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Erik,

Each consulate handles this process differently. In NYC, they send you a letter telling you that your citizenship has been recognized, that they have added your details to their AIRE database, and inviting you to make a passport appointment at your convenience.

There are other consulates which send an AIRE form along with the recognition letter, and yet a few others which ask you to complete an AIRE form along with your other forms at the time of application submission.

Perhaps a recent San Francisco applicant can tell us about the procedures in place there.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

I obtained my passport last week in San Francisco. You do not need your italian birth certificate from the comune. I brought my application form with two passport photos and I also brought the recognition document but that was not needed as they have your file. I also brought $115.20 for the fees. The consulate personnel are very nice and helpful. You can email them and they will tell you exactly what is needed. You will have to call and make an appointment which took about 3 weeks to get. It depends on how many applicants there are. It is a busy place Good luck, Bill
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

You will be automatically entered in AIRE.
heidebock
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heidebock »

thanks for the additional info!
LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoveJesus22 »

1- Well Carmine,
I think new laws are in now....Despite receiving the letter of recognition , the applicant must request his passport from the Questura..
From my sources i found:

a- http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... ml#p161185

b- A Friend of me applying also told me the same thing ( that he must request his authorization for passport from the Questura )

c- While Surfing some ESTERI websites i found the same in the website of Consulate General of Italy in Sidney , Passports Section....i couldn't put a link because the service in unavailable now....i think its here http://www.conssydney.esteri.it/Consola ... assaporti/

2- Thanks for the info plus i didn't know about Spouse's surname on page 4 of the passaporto....so many thanks

3- i have an additional question:
is there a way in the passport to write the type of citizenship....i mean if the italian is italian per jus sanguinis or jus matrimoni or naturalization

Thanx
Vittorio.