Letter of exemplification -Death & Marriage certicates also?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Letter of exemplification -Death & Marriage certicates also?

Post by grandpa77 »

All NYC birth certificates need a "letter of exemplification" before you can have it authenticated by the "NY County Clerk" & Apostilled by the "NY Department of State"

I requested a bunch of NYC Birth, NYC Marriage and NYC Death certificates and I noticed that SOME of the NYC Death certificates are coming back with "letters of exemplification" and other NYC death certificates and NYC Marriage certificates are not.

My question is- Do I need a letter of exemplification on NYC Marriage and NYC Death certificates to get them Apostilled?

According to the NYS website all NYC birth certificates need the letter of exemplification for an Apostille however they don't mention if NYC Death certificates and NYC Marriage certificates do also.

If anyone knows from personal experience I would love to know

Thank you very much!
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Letter of exemplification -Death & Marriage certicates a

Post by jennabet »

If this is any help, birth and death certificates from Niagara Falls both required Letter of Exemplification before they could be Apostilled.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

On NYC long form marriage certificates the clerk signs the back of the form with an original signature. The document then then has to go to the County Clerk for authentication and then to the NY Sec of State for the Apostille.

NYC death certificates require a letter of exemplification, the same process as a birt certificate.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

From NYC, I have received an exemplification letter with all birth and death certificates ... for marriage certificates, there is a stamp on the back of the certificate that serves as the exemplification. I have had not problem in obtaining the NY County clerks stamp and then the Apostille.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Post by grandpa77 »

Wow, I find it unreal that NYC Death certificates need Exemplification because on the NYC website it only states Birth certificates need Exemplification but says nothing about Death certificates.

VitalCheck really sucks then because this is the 3rd time I asked for exemplification and didn't get it. So what is the only solution ? ? Order more of the same certificates and hope they attach the Exemplification I guesss.

Also....RjNigro....

Would you know how to get the NY County clerks stamp via the mail ? Everytime I've gotten the County clerk stamp I just walk from 141 Worth street to the Court House 3 blocks away and the NY County clerks attaches 1 white page and 1 pink card. However I'm not in NYC right now so I'm not sure how to do it via mail. It would be great if the Apostille office would do this automatically for mail in orders but I don't think they do.