Payment for services in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Payment for services in Italy

Post by 846newyorker »

How can I pay for services easily (e.g. documents from a municipality) in Italy? I don't think a U.S. personal check will work, and a wire transfer is a bit complicated. I don't think PayPal is accepted. Is there some easy way to send money good for euros from the States?

Thank you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Payment for services in Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

846newyorker wrote:How can I pay for services easily (e.g. documents from a municipality) in Italy? I don't think a U.S. personal check will work, and a wire transfer is a bit complicated. I don't think PayPal is accepted. Is there some easy way to send money good for euros from the States?

Thank you!
There is no good answer, especially when the amounts involved are small. I am convinced that is the reason most comuni do not bother requesting payment for documents although Italian law permits them to charge for copying and postage fees.

State archives (Archivio di Stato di [province name]) do routinely charge for copying/postage, typically an amount less than €5. In most cases, the easiest way to deal with this is to wrap a €5 note in a double sheet of paper marked "Tenere il resto!" (Keep the change!), put it in a non see-through envelope with a copy of the request for payment, and hope for the best. One state archive recently requested payment via wire transfer which is a shame as most US banks charge $20 to $50 per transaction for international transfers.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Payment for services in Italy

Post by KarenChristino »

I paid the State Archives in Euros (the smallest my brother could get from the bank was a 5 Euro note). They sent change back to me in Italian postage stamps. I used them when I requested another document from another province and they accepted them with no questions. (My GF's commune never charged me anything.)