Correcting Info Posted on Another Website

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Posts: 1171
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Correcting Info Posted on Another Website

Post by jennabet » 27 Sep 2011, 02:15

For any American citizen desiring to be recognized through an ancestor who naturalized in the USA, it is perfectly OK to apply outside of the USA or Italy as long as you have LEGAL residence in the country where you are applying.

For example, it's pefectly OK for an American to apply at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Madrid, Spain if his ancestor was naturalized in the USA. The Consulate in Madrid will simply co-ordinate the case with the Consulate in the USA that has jurisdiction for the state where the ancestor was naturalized.

Likewise, it's perfectly OK for an American citizen to apply to an Italian Embassy or Consulate in the USA if his grand-parent was naturalized in Peru IF the applicant resides legally in the United States. In this case, his consulate in the USA will simply coordinate the case with the Italian consulate in the state in Peru where the ancestor was naturalized.

For my own case, I was an American citizen holding legal residence in Mexico and I applied for JS at the Italian Embassy in Mexico City and was recognized there through my grand-father who was naturalized in the jurisdiction of the Philadelphia consulate. Mexico City simply co-ordinated the case with Philadelphia.

Bottom line is this. Your own citizenship does not matter. If you are a LEGAL resident of any country where Italy has an Embassy/Consulate, you can apply for JS in that country and it does not matter where your ancestor was naturalized.

I hope this clears up any confusion. There is a lot of it out there.

User avatar
Posts: 1817
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Correcting Info Posted on Another Website

Post by mler » 29 Sep 2011, 03:14

If you haven't already done so, you might want to post your correction there as well. It should be clear that you are required to submit your jure sanguinis application only at the consulate that serves the jurisdiction in which you hold legal residence (unless, of course, you are applying in Italy).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests