Italian citizenship and residency question?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
BMartino

Italian citizenship and residency question?

Post by BMartino »

I am the last one in my family (except my brother who is in no way interested) eligible for dual citizenship to Italy.
I am going to begin the process over the winter, and have most documents in place now.
My question is: After I have all documents in place and sent to the proper authorities is there a period of residency to stay in Italy? In other words, will I have to reside in Italy for a specified period of time before my citizenship is official?
It is not a problem for me, as I plan on locating to Caserta province in mid 2013 for an extended period, I am just curious as my son-in-law who moved here to the States from the UK had to be here uninterrupted for 6 months before he became "official".
Interesting to note- my great grandfather came here from Calvi Risorta in 1895 and had to be here for a period of 10 years before he was eligible for naturalization. Things sure have changed! :)
Researching: Martino, Zona, Pitocchi, Pamieri in the Calvi Risorta area
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian citizenship and residency question?

Post by kontessa »

Sorry, but it's not clear from your post exactly how you plan to apply for citizenship - js or by naturalizing. It matters, because the second type involves time and residency. Are you reclaiming citizenship lost by a parent who naturalized? Are you moving to Italy to apply via a GP who lost their citizenship - requiring a shortened time to naturalize as an Italian citizen? Are you moving to Italy to apply via js, which requires no length of time for residency in order to qualify? What do you mean by the statement that you are the last one eligible? If you provide more insight, maybe someone here can give you a more accurate answer to some of your questions.
BMartino

Post by BMartino »

Thanks for replying! I realized when I just read my post over that I wasn't very clear on what I am doing!
Yes, I am applying jus sanguinis. Because of the eligibility requirements- my grandfather and great grandfather were both born in Italy and were Italian citizens, I think I can do it this way. Any of my descendants would not be able to, that's what I meant by me being the last in line!
I was just curious as to how the process works, but you answered my question!
Researching: Martino, Zona, Pitocchi, Pamieri in the Calvi Risorta area
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Your situation is still a bit unclear. If your grandfather was still an Italian citizen when your parent was born, and there is no 1948 issue, you qualify for citizenship jure sanguinis. If you are eligible in this manner, you will not be required to be in Italy even for a day. It also means that your descendents are also eligible for citizenship.

If the Italian line was broken through naturalization, you can acquire citizenship through residency. This would require you to reside in Italy for three years, and any of your children who have reached the age of majority would likely not qualify.