Naturalized Citizenship Oath

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dmbozza

Naturalized Citizenship Oath

Post by dmbozza »

I'm applying for Italian Citizenship Jure Sanguinis, via my GF>F>ME

I've collected the usual documents, birth certificates, marriage certificates; death certificate and am now down to the actual application documents (Form 1-4).

I’ve personally completed Form 1 & 2 (The application & declaration), my Father has completed Form 3 (Declaration of Living Ascendant). However there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not I need Form 4 (Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant) for my Grandfather. Since he did in deed renounce his Italian Citizenship as part of the Naturalization Oath to the United States. Here's an excerpt from his naturalization documents...

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

The oath was signed and witnessed on June 24th, 1935, and luckily for me my dad was born a few weeks prior on June 7th, 1935. So I see no need in completing form 4, since it’s clearly documented that my grandfather did renounce his citizenship weeks after my father’s birth.

But since this is all new to me I’d prefer to get some feedback from anyone that has actually been through the Jure Sanguinis process.

Thanks.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naturalized Citizenship Oath

Post by rjnigro »

For the reason you suggest, I did not arrive at my appointment with the form prepared. The consular officer asked for it, I said I didn't have one for my GF (Same line as you GF>F>Me) >>> he gave me a blank form to complete. Thinking about it after, although my GF renounced his Italian citizenship, he never did so in front of an Italian Authority