RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Re: RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Post by castle34 »

JJ313 Thank yoo very much for copying the instructions from the NY Italian Consulate site. I really aprecate it. I'm in the process now of collecting all the documents.

I'm afraid I have another question for you. Two of our children will be applying at Boston and in New Zealand. So I am assuming that I will need a set of original documents for each of them.

My husband, three of our children, and I will be applying in New York, most likely on different dates. Will one set of original docuents suffice? Or do I need a set of original docuents for each of us? Does the consulate keep the set of original documents and a copy of the documents? Or does it return the original documents and keep two copies of the original documents?

Again thank you so much for your help.
mler
Master
Master

Re: RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Post by mler »

It would be a good idea for each of your children to check with his consulate to determine how they prefer to handle this situation. They may be willing to simply reference your husband's file, and in that case another set of documents will not be necessary. If they say this is not possible, or if they are unwilling to do this, your children will need another document set. I think the odds are good that your husband's original document set will be sufficient, but only the consulate can confirm this.

Your children applying in NY should apply after your husband and ask that their documents be added to his file. Only one set will be needed here.

The consulate will keep most of your documents and will send them to the comune for registration. Don't expect to get them back. They will keep copies only of documents originating in Italy, which have already been registered, and they will return any original naturalization certificates.