cousin going through same relative

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

cousin going through same relative

Post by belmoro19 »

Good evening,
I obtained my italian citizenship last year through my ggf,gf,m,me. My cousin just informed me that he would also like to get his italian citizenship. We both are from the same line. Our mothers are sisters and all other documents would be the same that I used. I know that he would need his mother's certicates as well as his own. My documents are registered with the miami consulate but he would have to go through the philadelphia consulate. Would it be easy for to obtain citizenship with the records that are already registered through me or would he have to start all over. Also would the miami consulate be able to share those records with the philly consulate for him to use. Thank you for any information that you can give.
Thank you
mler
Master
Master

Re: cousin going through same relative

Post by mler »

I hate to give this answer, but the truth is that it depends on the consulates and how willing they are to share information. I have heard of several cases in which document information was shared, and I was told specifically in NY that they would share with Newark. Your best bet, though, is to ask in either Miami or Philadelphia (or both).
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Thank you, mler. I have contacted both consulates and waiting to see if they respond. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I was just curious if anyone would know.
Thank you for the response.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 846newyorker »

Does anyone know about two family members in the same consulate? I just applied in New York and my aunt has an appointment in a few months. Of course we are going through the same ancestor. Is it possible they will accept just photocopies of my documents?
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Good morning,
I heard from Miami consulate and they told it is possible for relatives to use my file to obtain their citizenship. She told that when they make the appt. to make sure to reference their relatives file # and bring their own personal docs i.e. birth marriage etc. everything else can be referenced from the file #. So looks like they are able to do it.