Re-acquisition of Italian Citizenship - BY A PARENT

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re-acquisition of Italian Citizenship - BY A PARENT

Post by jennabet »

This information is available at the Comune of the City of Turin (http://www.comune.torino.it/en/papers/i ... ship.shtml

Acquisition or re-acquisition by a Parent: the MINORS of persons who acquire or reacquire Italian citizenship also acquire it if they are living stably and effectively with the person at the time of acquisition or re-acquisition. When they reach the age of 18 if they have other citizenship, they can renounce Italian citizenship.

Obviously, the above rule would NOT apply to a person who lost citizenship as a minor through the action of a parent that is now deceased.

I am particularly providing this information in hopes that it may enlighten, with accurate information, people in particular circumstances who have been given the run-around from various "knowledgeable" sources in an attempt to reacquire Italian citizenship.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Re-acquisition of Italian Citizenship - BY A PARENT

Post by mler »

Hmm. This is an interesting summary of the various ways in which citizenship can be acquired. Unfortunately, it lacks specifics on eligibility.

Thus, you may be reading into the section on which you focus more than is actually stated. It says that minor children acquire citizenship when their parent acquires or reacquires it. I think that is widely acknowledged.

What this statement does not do, however, is specify who is (and who is not) eligible to acquire or reacquire under Italian law; it only indicates the status of a minor child whose parent DOES obtain citizenship.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I would like you to provide a credible source indicating eligibility is required to be written into and made public on any Italian law in order for it not to apply to certain applicants and also provide a second credible source indicating that information must be published in entirety on all public Italian websites -- because I am dismayed that certain applicants have been led astray and given far too much invalid information by non credible "experts" who do a lot of "reading into" on their own.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

A law requiring a comune to post eligibility requirements? That seems a rather unreasonable request.

However don't you think it's rather presumptuous to take an innocuous statement published by the comune of Torino regarding the rights of a child if his parent acquires or reacquires citizenship, and decide arbitrarily that this means that minor children who lost citizenship when a parent naturalized are ineligible to reacquire that citizenship in the manner described by law?

The NY Consulate states on its web page:

Reacquisition of Italian Citizenship

"According to Italian law individuals born in Italy who automatically lost Italian citizenship by acquiring U.S. citizenship before August 16th 1992 are eligible, under certain conditions, for reacquisition of Italian citizenship."

I don't see anything here, or anywhere else for that matter, that precludes anyone born in Italy who lost citizenship through naturalization, and in fact the law specifically does not make such an exclusion.

In any discussion regarding citizenship law it's best to go directly to the actual law, in this case: Legge n. 91, 5 febbraio 1992, specifically, in terms of eligibility, Article 13.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The New York Consulate needs to update it's information or remove it altogether. I know of one case, in particular, where obviously stale information passed around from the New York Consulate has not aided AT ALL a person who is not qualified to reacquire citizenship, according to the Torino Comune.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:I am particularly providing this information in hopes that it may enlighten, with accurate information, people in particular circumstances who have been given the run-around from various "knowledgeable" sources in an attempt to reacquire Italian citizenship.
On the other hand, some might think that instead of hoping to offer enlightenment, you merely moved the argument from this thread http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... 9-120.html over to this forum. SalSno, jennabet, et al.