I Just Beat the 1948 Rule

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: I Just Beat the 1948 Rule

Post by jennabet »

Members, please read the posts in this thread beginning August 12 carefully so as not to get confused. Monitors might also want to scrutinize. Thanks. Buon Ferragosto.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Why not read the entire thread? It's all pertinent. :)
Italian7081

Post by Italian7081 »

Can someone help? Looking for dual citizenship

Both my great grand parents came from Italy to the US. Great grandfather was around 1911 and Great grandmother maybe 10 years later. The had 4 children. One was my grandmother. She was born in 1929. From research on the censes records. My great grandmother wasn't naturalized in 1940. Although, my great grandfather was. When did my great grand father become a US citizen? We aren't sure.

Questions? How do I find out when he was?

The original poster gain Italian citizenship from his grandmother? Could that work in my case, if its found my great grandfather was a US citizen when my grandmother was born? Meaning is it the same.

Great grand parents
Born in Italy

Grandmother born in US

Mother born in the US

Myself born in the US
Italian7081

Post by Italian7081 »

I just got the news. My GGF naturalized 14 months before my Grandmother was born. My Grandmother was of 4 children and the youngest. So, my Grandmothers brothers & sisters kids are good to go. My GGM naturalized after Grandmother was born. I'd like contact info on the attorney posted on here who helped others.

Thanks
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

His name is Luigi Paiano, and if you PM one of the posters who used his services, I'm certain they can provide you with contact information.

On another site, it was reported that he charges $5000, but you will have to check with him for specifics. Yes, it seems that Sig. Paiano has had much success with cases like yours.

Sorry the GGF didnt work out. Best of luck.
Italian7081

Post by Italian7081 »

Thank you! :)
DHG

Post by DHG »

I am interested in pursuing Italian citizenship and have learned that the only way I can pursue it is to challenge the 1948 rule. My grandparents emigrated to the U.S. from Italy and my mother, born in 1929, was the only one of her siblings to be born AFTER her father was naturalized in 1926. Her mother, however, was not naturalized till 1940. I've been in touch with Luigi Paiano as well as an organization named ICAP. I don't know if I will ever live in Italy, but would like this deeper connection to my grandparents' heritage. I'm wondering what other benefits you have found from Italian citizenship? Also, in going this route, are there any other concerns or considerations about the process that you could mention? Thanks
bmichaellamp

Post by bmichaellamp »

I also beat the 1948 rule with help from Luigi Paiano.

I trace as follows F (born u.s. pre-1948)>GM (born U.S.)>GGF (born Italy).

I first contacted the Italian embassy, but they told me I could not get citizenship due to the 1948 rule. After searching the internet, I contacted and hired Mr. Paiano. My case was submitted Dec. 10, 2012, and the court made its decision on July 9, 2013. As soon as my birth is registered in my GGF's hometown, I will apply for my passport.

My experience with Luigi was very good. He was prompt and courteous. After hearing my details and seeing scans of my documents, he gave me a 90 percent chance of success, and he was dead on. If you're blocked by the 1948 rule, I highly recommend him.
alicecreed

Post by alicecreed »

@bmichaellamp congratulations on your citizenship. Just to clarify, what do you mean you have to register your birth in your GGF's town? Were you born in Italy? If so doesn't that entitle you to citizenship? Thanks
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Once your citizenship is recognized, all your documents (including your own birth certificate) are registered in your ancestral comune. If you request it, the comune will send you an official copy of the registration of your birth.
tuper16

Post by tuper16 »

Dear bmichaellamp,
I also engaged Avv. Paiano for the recognition of my Italian citizenship for a maternal line (1948 rule), and so far I can indeed support your appreciation in connection with his professionalism and kindness.
Actually, the first audience in my judicial procedure has been schedule for March 2014 by the First Civil Section of the Ordinary Tribunal of Rome (Prima Sezione Civile del Tribunale Ordinario di Roma). Was this Tribunal the same that has intervened in your case? I am quite curious because it seems to me that in your case the entire process was quite smooth and fast. I hope that I will face the same scenario after the first audience.
Thank you very much in advance for your comments!
Kind regards,
tuper16
bmichaellamp

Post by bmichaellamp »

Hi tuper16,

To be honest, I didn't follow exactly which tribunal was dealing with my stuff, but the first meeting with the judge for us was at the Tribunale Ordinario di Roma in June.

Luigi had expected there to be a second hearing, but apparently that wasn't necessary, and the decision came down in September without further meetings.

Good luck

Hi alicecreed,

Please see what mler said.

regards
tuper16

Post by tuper16 »

Dear Bmichaellamp,
Thanks for your fast reply. Your experience is very encouraging and gives me good hopes in connection with the fast resolution of my case. As soon as I have more information or the case develops, I will let you know.
Thanks again.
Best,
tuper16
drewm

Post by drewm »

While I understand some people who feel the 1948 rule is a good one I have to say it quite frustrating to get caught up by it. I am 100% Italian but I am down to researching my last GGF's naturalization date to see if I qualify without having to go the legal route.

I have hit a brick wall with most of my GGF's having naturalized 1-2 years prior to having children.
Marcello Petruzzi

Post by Marcello Petruzzi »

Hello. In case it might be useful, let me tell you that I have also beaten the 1948 rule and succeeded. In fact, my lawyer in Italy, Luigi Paiano, did. I contacted him via internet, and engaged him with my case. He represented me at the trial at the Tribunale Ordinario di Roma, Prima Sezione Civile. The trial started at the end of 2009 and the Roman Court ruled my italian citizenship two years later in January 2012 -I've read some posts indicating that it goes iven quicker now-. Thanks to Luigi Paiano, whose standing profesionalism, availability and kindness I must duly note, I was granted not only the ruling, but also my bith certificate registered by the Italian Comune of my ancestor's, as well as I was issued the italian passport by the local consulate. :D