Is my friend Elligible?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Is my friend Elligible?

Post by ktpoloni »

Hello! I am helping my friend recieve her dual-citizenship through her great grandfather father.

Great Grandfather > Grandmother > Mother > Friend

Her Great Grandfather naturalized after her Grandmother was born.

Her Grandmother Married an ex Itaian Citizen in 1946 (we think.. We know he naturalized we are just trying to figure out the date. On the 1940 census it says that he had is papers started.

Mother was born in 1953

I know there all those laws and I get super confused. If her grandfather was an italian citizen or if he wasn't would she still be able to claim italian citizenship?

Thanks so much for the help!
JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Is my friend Elligible?

Post by JoshFM »

Yes, but only if the grandmother did not renounce Italian citizenship. Was she born in the USA?
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ktpoloni »

Yes her Grandmother was born in the US. So even if her Grandfather was an ex italain citizen, or an italian citizen she can still get it???
JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoshFM »

I believe that is the case, yes. According to information found on several websites relating to Italian dual citizenship, the grandmother can pass down citizenship to her children. However, the qualifications listed on the various official Italian Consulate websites vary(Chicago, NY, San Fran, Miami, etc. and are not so clear. For example, they might say "maternal grandfather" and not mention grandmother. Or, "maternal grandparents." But check out the info on this forum: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... y-t74.html
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

One other thing to consider, did her GGF naturalized after 7/1/1912? If he naturalized prior to that date then her GM even though she was born in the US would have lost Italian citizenship. After that date she is okay.
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ktpoloni »

Yeah he did after 1912. Thanks everyone!