Three Steps To Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Three Steps To Naturalization

Post by jennabet »

The Naturalization process consists of three steps: Declaration of Intention, Petition for Citizenship, and Oath of Allegiance (which contains the Certificate number or Naturalization Certificate).

If the Naturalization process was properly completed through the taking of the Oath, when proof of citizenship is ordered, in most cases, you will receive all of the documents above stapled together. (You cannot order just the Naturalization Certificate). DO NOT REMOVE THE STAPLES or try to hand in the pages separately hoping to avoid, for example, having to explain a date discrepancy. Your examiner will come back and ask you for the missing pages and why you didn't hand them in at the same time, as the consulates are cognizant of the manner in which naturalization documents are filed. It's always better to be up front and honest with the important papers that actually determine whether or not you are an Italian citizen.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Three Steps To Naturalization

Post by jennabet »

Regarding the above: Please see the following link from the San Francisco Consulate

PROVING NATURALIZATION DATES OR LACK THEREOF

1. The Ascendant's Original Certificate of Naturalization

http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/N ... H_2012.pdf
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Is this the reason for your concerns about naturalization documents? http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... t3343.html
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

As most readers of the English language and participants in this forum can easily see, the topic has been added to the board index section called "Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian Citizenship, which just happens to be an excellent place to discuss the Three Steps to Naturalization.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Sorry, but it looked to be more of a statement about document requirements, than a discussion about the actual steps to naturalization. Actually, isn't the second paragraph about removing staples and trying to avoid discussion of discrepancies more in line with the reason for your post? Since this is a discussion, would you want to comment on the link I posted...what do you think about the suggestion made there to remove staples in the documentation?
jennabet wrote:The Naturalization process consists of three steps: Declaration of Intention, Petition for Citizenship, and Oath of Allegiance (which contains the Certificate number or Naturalization Certificate).

If the Naturalization process was properly completed through the taking of the Oath, when proof of citizenship is ordered, in most cases, you will receive all of the documents above stapled together. (You cannot order just the Naturalization Certificate). DO NOT REMOVE THE STAPLES or try to hand in the pages separately hoping to avoid, for example, having to explain a date discrepancy. Your examiner will come back and ask you for the missing pages and why you didn't hand them in at the same time, as the consulates are cognizant of the manner in which naturalization documents are filed. It's always better to be up front and honest with the important papers that actually determine whether or not you are an Italian citizen.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Good advice Holies. I agree thoroughly with you. Again, it's always best to be totally honest and up front when dealing with the most important papers that actually determine whether or not you're an Italian citizen. Aside from that point, the US government issues many personal official documents in other capacities which contain specific insructions such as, "do not open", "open in front of", "do not remove", etc. particularly when dealing with immigration matters.

....It's probably not recommended to remove staples, I believe only the officials can remove the staples.....

dgeorge wrote:
I am applying GGF-GF-F-me in NYC. I originally ordered the NARA documentation of my GGF's naturalization (intention, petition and oath). Because of discrepencies in my GGM's name and marriage date, I thought that I could avoid any potential problems and get just the certificate from USCIS. However, I received an even larger package than the one from NARA (failed intentions and petitions). Can I remove just the actual certificate from the stapled package that has only minimal information recorded?
Thanks.Holies

Private message
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:Again, it's always best to be totally honest and up front when dealing with the most important papers that actually determine whether or not you're an Italian citizen.
I agree. However, don't some of the consulates ask for only the certificate? I would think that they would want ALL of the documents, especially since the DOB is sometimes not shown on just the certificate.