I think I found a ship manifest, need help confirming!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jguizio

I think I found a ship manifest, need help confirming!

Post by jguizio »

Since you all have been amazing at gathering info for me I will throw one more request out. Yesterday I asked about my great-grandfather Michele Vigorito. He was married to Teresa, who was recorded on my grandmother's babtism record as Teresa Palazzi. According to census records it seems she was born in Italy appox 1877 and came to the US approx 1881.
I found this ship manifest from December 1880 listing a Michele Palazzo traveling with a 3 year old Teresa and a 2 month old Irena. A woman listed above may be his wife Maria Favorita. I don't know how to tell which port they sailed from, but I was told she was Sicilian. I can't find any record of the family in the US, only Teresa on 1900 census already married. I think this could definitely be my Teresa on this passenger record, but I never knew her parents names. I would like to confirm.
Can someone help? I would think they lived in Paterson NJ, E. Paterson, or Saddle River in Bergan County.
Manifest:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... pl&indiv=1
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: I think I found a ship manifest, need help confirming!

Post by adelfio »

Unforunately theses early manifests have limited info on them. Just they came from Italy to USA. You will have to find more info to verify

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: I think I found a ship manifest, need help confirming!

Post by Tessa78 »

jguizio wrote:Since you all have been amazing at gathering info for me I will throw one more request out. Yesterday I asked about my great-grandfather Michele Vigorito. He was married to Teresa, who was recorded on my grandmother's babtism record as Teresa Palazzi. According to census records it seems she was born in Italy appox 1877 and came to the US approx 1881.
I found this ship manifest from December 1880 listing a Michele Palazzo traveling with a 3 year old Teresa and a 2 month old Irena. A woman listed above may be his wife Maria Favorita. I don't know how to tell which port they sailed from, but I was told she was Sicilian. I can't find any record of the family in the US, only Teresa on 1900 census already married. I think this could definitely be my Teresa on this passenger record, but I never knew her parents names. I would like to confirm.
Can someone help? I would think they lived in Paterson NJ, E. Paterson, or Saddle River in Bergan County.
Manifest:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... pl&indiv=1

On page one of the ship manifest, it indicates that the SS Italian departed from Marseilles, France; Naples, Italy; and PALERMO, Italy :-)

T.