Applying for Italian Citizenship at NY Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
GaryM

Applying for Italian Citizenship at NY Consulate

Post by GaryM »

Has anyone gone through the process of applying for Italian citizenship at the Italian Consulate in New York? Any comments or tips for me? I am eligible through my maternal grandfather. In obtaining my grandfather's Italian birth certificate, is it sufficient to obtain it in carta libera or must it be in carta legale? Thanks.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Applying for Italian Citizenship at NY Consulate

Post by wldspirit »

No knowledge of consulate in New York......I'm from Illinois....... :P
But I do know all documents must have an apostille. Here is a website that may answer some of your questions......

http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm

hope this helps......

wldspirit :D
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wldspirit, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
jtorre

Post by jtorre »

The NYC consulate is quite good. They don't require that non-italian documents be translated into Italian. They do (at least when we did it a few years ago) require that city residents bring docs in person. For other parts of their jurisdiction, it could be done by mail.

For my grandfather's birth record from Italy, I requested (and got) an "international form" of his birth record.

Take a look at www.myitaliancitizenship.com. When I last looked at it, it had great information on the process and all the certifications needed for various documents which will vary depending on the state it comes from. For example, to get an apostille for a doc issued in the city of NY, it must first be notarized by the county clerk. The doc itself has to be a certified copy. The apostille comes from the state in which the doc was issued. Procedure and fees vary considerably among states. It's best to find out requirements from all the states you need before you order any documents -- saves having to do it again!

JTorre
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

An apostille is not needed for any Italian documents.

Several people at this site http://www.expatsinitaly.com/ are currently working with the NY consulate. There ave been considerable discussions, some of which might be helpful to you.

- T. Bottegal
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Excuse me for not being more specific, but the above web site covered all the bases...and then some.
wldspirit
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Note to all- I called the Italian Consulate - Carta Libera is acceptable to them, and it appears that any document "certified" by the comune (stamped and signed by the proper official) is acceptable.

Ciao.
oncallwebdesigns

Post by oncallwebdesigns »

<b>Gary, Hi.</b>

I tried and they weren't very helpful. I did submit a request of Birth Certificate through http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com on 3/25/05 so I will be posting the outcome as soon as I can.

Good luck.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

True, they are slow to answer and you'd probably have to go in person to have many questions answered. I just mailed a request for a birth certificate and marriage certificate to Italy. Let's see who gets a response first! BTW, you can send them yourself - that website you referred to charges a lot. The carta libera certificate in Italy is actually free in most comunes, although I sent them a few bucks hoping it will speed things up. If you need more Italian certificates, and want to request them yourself, I can give you sample wording; it's also available on many websites.

Are you applying through the NY Consulate too? The good news is that they do the translations from English to Italian for your US certificates.

Ciao
Toscana

Post by Toscana »

Getting your Italian documents is really quite easy if you go directly to the comune in Italy. That is the least of your problems. I am having more issues with the USA end of it. Whatever they give you in Itlay will be the right form, as they explained to me that the law changed and there is no more discrepancy in the forms of documents. I am fluent in Italian, but even if I were not, I am convinced that I would not have had much difficulty.

What better excuse to go for a trip....
Toscana