Certificate of Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jmrmjor

Certificate of Italian Citizenship

Post by jmrmjor »

When reading the web site information for the Philadelphia Consulate Office, I saw for the first time that we must prove the Italian Citizenship of our ancestor with a Certificate of Citizenship. Does anyone know when this record is created? I see agencies that offer to get the birth certificate for you for a fee but I do not see them saying anything about the Citizenship Certificate.

Thanks for your insight and advice

Michael
Toscana

Re: Certificate of Italian Citizenship

Post by Toscana »

Michael,

I got this certificate in person from the comune in Italy. It was very easy.

I know that the consulate website lists this certificate as necessary. I also noticed that some of these websites which obtain birth certificates from Italy do not list the citizenship certificate. What my comune gave me was a document that said something like "up until 1920, he was an Italian citizen." This means that there is no record of him there after this date (well, he wasn't there).

If you want to go through one of these sites, I suggest e-mailing them and asking. Otherwise you have a definite reason to go to Italy!
Toscana
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Certificate of Italian Citizenship

Post by wldspirit »

You do not have to pay a service to obtain documentation for you.
You can request the documentation yourself by writing to the town of origin. Of course, going in person would be much more enjoyable...... :wink:

wldspirit