Ship manifests

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cmonzella

Ship manifests

Post by cmonzella »

I am searching for the manifest of the Anchor Line ship "Bolivia" that sailed from Palermo to New Orleans, LA, arriving on Nov. 30, 1895. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Also, is there a website where I can locate the names of ships arriving in Palermo from Ellis Island, NY during the year 1906, and their manifests?

Thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ship manifests

Post by Tessa78 »

cmonzella wrote:I am searching for the manifest of the Anchor Line ship "Bolivia" that sailed from Palermo to New Orleans, LA, arriving on Nov. 30, 1895. Does anyone know where I can find it?
Some New Orleans arrivals are found on Ancestry.com

Also, is there a website where I can locate the names of ships arriving in Palermo from Ellis Island, NY during the year 1906, and their manifests?
There are no records available, that I am aware of, for return trips to Italy.

Thanks.
If you provide names and approx. ages, we can try to locate that manifest for you :-)

T.
cmonzella

Post by cmonzella »

According to naturalization documents filed later, my grandfather, Vincenzo Manzella, was aboard the SS Bolivia when it arrived in New Orleans on Nov. 30, 1895. He was about 33 years old. I think he left his family in Sicily but I would like to see the manifest to be sure that was the case.

In 1904 (correct, not 1906), my grandmother Dominica Cantavespre Manzella, about 39, and her three children, Maria Teresa (14 years old), Natale (9 years old) and Guiuseppe ((6 years old) sailed from Ellis Island to Palermo. I do have the exact dates nor the name of the ship.
cmonzella

Post by cmonzella »

My previous post should have read: "I do NOT have the exact dates nor the name of the ship."
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found just
a Vincenzo Manzella 33 old, Domenica Cantavespri 19 old wife, Teresa Manzella 3 old daughter coming from Bisacquino, they arrived on 4 nov 1895 in USA:
New Orleans, Passenger Lists, 1813-1945 about Domenica Cautavespri
Name: Domenica Cautavespri
[Domenica Cantavespri]
Arrival Date: 4 Nov 1895
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Birth Date: abt 1876
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Elysia
Last Residence: Birocguino

http://s22.postimg.org/95l4x8tk1/vincen ... vespri.jpg
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

cmonzella wrote:According to naturalization documents filed later, my grandfather, Vincenzo Manzella, was aboard the SS Bolivia when it arrived in New Orleans on Nov. 30, 1895. He was about 33 years old. I think he left his family in Sicily but I would like to see the manifest to be sure that was the case.
As you can see from the manifest posted by suanj :D ! - unfortunately, there is little information on the earlier manifests... family member in place left, destination, etc. appear on later voyages.
But you have the last residence :-)

Great find, suanj!

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

thanks Tessa! :D
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cmonzella

Post by cmonzella »

Saunj,

Thanks for your information and document. That's impressive. However, it muddies the waters for me because of the date. I'm really confused now. I scrolled to the first page of the document you posted but could not make out the writing for the ship's name. I know you said the ship was Elysia but the first page of that document doesn't appear to me to be Elysia. I am so grateful for your help, though.

I apologize for not responding sooner but I have been unable to get on this website for a few days.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi
the ship's maniest posted and the infos are on ancestry.com that transcribed it... sometimes the ship's name are not on the top, especially on old ship's manifest...
however ancestry.com stating Elysia ship, so I have no doubt abt the ship's name....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
3bbduxmjb

Post by 3bbduxmjb »

Im so happy to find anything on my maiden name, Cantavespre. There are very few of us left and I keep hitting a brick wall trying to find out more information regarding my ancestry. Are you at all related to any Cantavespres that settled in Alabama (Birmingham)?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

3bbduxmjb wrote:Im so happy to find anything on my maiden name, Cantavespre. There are very few of us left and I keep hitting a brick wall trying to find out more information regarding my ancestry. Are you at all related to any Cantavespres that settled in Alabama (Birmingham)?
Maybe we can be of help here at the forum? :-)
Can you give us some details of your ancestors??

Could this Sam Cantavespre be an ancestor?

Name: Sam Cantavesper
[Sam Cantavespre]
[Sam Cantavespre]
[Sann Cantavespe]
Birth Year: abt 1872
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Birmingham, Jefferson, Alabama
Street: 19th Street
House Number: 1411
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1890
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Francis L Cantavesper
Father's Birthplace: Italy (indicates Palermo)
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Native Tongue: Italian
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Open Hearth
Employment Field: Wage or Salary
Home Owned or Rented: Own
Home Free or Mortgaged: Mortgaged
Naturalization Status: Papers Submitted
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Sam Cantavesper 48
Francis L Cantavesper 38
Joe Cantavesper 21
Jake Cantavesper 19
Tony Cantavesper 14
Lilly Cantavesper 12
Charlie Cantavesper 9

HERE is the Declaration of Intent to Naturalize for the above Sam/Salvatore Cantavespre...
He lists his place of birth as BISAQUINO, (Palermo) Italy.
He arrived at Port of New Orleans in 1890.
His wife Frances (Francesca) arrived in New Orleans in 1896. She is also from Bisaquino. They were married in New Orleans in 1897.
First two children (Joe and Jake) were born in New Orleans, all the others were born in Alabama.
Left side of image... click once to enlarge and again to magnify

Baptism record of the above Sam/Salvatore Cantavespre
:-)
Baptism of Salvatore Cantavespre in April 1870 in Bisaquino
Church of San Giovanni Battista
Baptism on 21 April of a child born yesterday (20th) to Giuseppe (Josepho in Latin) Cantavespre, and Angela Campisi, married couple. To this child was imposed the name of Salvatore. Godparents were Salvatore Pilliteri, and Vita Capomano, married couple.

Right side of image – second entry.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351454001

T.
monde

Post by monde »

Hi!

Im looking for the complete manifest for the "Bendigo". It arrived in London on 30 October 1924 from Durban, South Africa. Final destination - Italy
The passenger in question was Antonio Chialina, a 41 year old merchant. I would like to find the final destination address or passport number or anything to prove that he existed.

Thank you
Monde