meanings in "records of aliens held for special inquiry"

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nazca
Elite
Elite

meanings in "records of aliens held for special inquiry"

Post by nazca »

Hi ,
i have found that my Great Grandmother Concetta D'Avola was helded for special inquiry (see image) : Ellis Island Manifest, Ship "Prinz Oscar", arrived 26 may 1904 , row number 5.
What's the meaning of word in "cause of detenction" column and in the other columns "actions of the boards of special inquiry"..?

thanks for your help.

kind regards.

Vincenzo
Attachments
davola-concetta-manifest-special-inquiry.jpg
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: meanings in "records of aliens held for special inquiry"

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

It just says L.P.C. (Likely Public Charge) (and then) Dr Cert.

You might find the following helpful:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/bsi/

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

nazca wrote:Hi ,
i have found that my Great Grandmother Concetta D'Avola was helded for special inquiry (see image) : Ellis Island Manifest, Ship "Prinz Oscar", arrived 26 may 1904 , row number 5.
What's the meaning of word in "cause of detenction" column and in the other columns "actions of the boards of special inquiry"..?

thanks for your help.

kind regards.

Vincenzo
As Angelagrace :) stated, the LPC is "Likely Public Charge" - no means of support...
The "Dr. Cert" is not on her line (or dittoed)
As to the actions... Her "case" was deferred on May 27, then she was admitted on 5//28 - and you can see that she was given 2 breakfasts, 3 dinners (what we call lunch) and 2 suppers, during her detention.
Usually passengers were detained if their "sponsors" (husband, father, sibling, organization(church), etc.) were not there to meet them/delayed in meeting them.

As you can see further down on the list, there were several passengers who were held for almost a month, and finally deported. :(

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Nicely put Tessa. It has helped me too. :D

Are you able to look at the following topic and either correct or shed more light please. I interpreted it somewhat awkwardly. Thank you.

http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/31224

Angela