Passport for CIAMPI, Nunziante

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Passport for CIAMPI, Nunziante

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I am attempting to locate a passport for my great grandfather, Nunziante CIAMPI. This is what I know. He was born about 1855 in Frigento, Italy, had two children that I know of, born 1879 and 1882. On 21 October 1884, he was murdered in Philadelphia, PA where he was working, presumably as a laborer for the railroad. Believed to have been murdered by a fellow Frigento(ian) who fled back to Italy. I've not been able to find out what happened to his remains or where he is buried, but he was found with a passport on his body. I thought a passport or passport application may help in some way.

Thank you.
Grazie,

Dolores
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Passport for CIAMPI, Nunziante

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are no resources available for Italian passports, passport applications, etc.

What are you hoping to learn about Nunziante?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Hoping to learn when he arrived in the US, when his mother was born, if he had any more children and whether any justice was served! He appeared to have had a brother born in 1859, Pasquale, if he had any other siblings.
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Dolores
I had previously posted this on another thread on this forum concerning Italian passports-from Trafford Cole's book on Italian Genealogical Records.:

from the year 1869, and the unification of Italy, any Italian citizen who wanted to travel outside of Italy had to be issued a passport. They could not leave their country without one, although the country to which they were traveling did not necessarily require them to have a passport to enter that new country. So the U.S. did not require an Italian passport to enter this country in the early 1900s, but Italy required its citizens to have a passport in order to leave there. For one thing, the Italian government wanted to make sure that men who were eligible for their draft did not leave the country before they had served in the military there. Another thing was that the Italian government wanted to insure that any of its citizens guilty of a crime did not leave the country.

Now, in order for an Italian citizen to be issued an Italian passport in their country, they had to go to their closest police headquarters with their birth certificates. There the officials would check the names on the certificates. So it was the Italian police who issued the passports. Some Italian citizens requested a passport but never left Italy. Some made multiple trips abroad using only 1 passport. Some actually made two or three requests for a passport before finally setting sail. The records kept by the questura (in the archives of the headquarters of the internal police in each province) are not available to the public.

Every passport request, however, also had to be approved by the ministero degli interni (minister of internal affairs) in Rome. So a list of passport requests and approvals is kept by this ministero in Rome. The problem is that the passports are indexed by town or province for each year, so you need not only the town name but also the year the passport was issued (which may not be the same year your ancestor arrived in the United States). Also these indices do not even contain the actual date of departure from Italy of your ancestor, as he may have requested his passport months before he actually left there. According to Trafford Cole, in his book about researching Italian records, this index contains very little info of actual worth (p.161).

Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks, Erudita. Well we know where he came from, Frigento, but I do not know when the passport was issued. Can I assume then, that I cannot find one?
Grazie,

Dolores
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

You might be able to find details of the case as well as an obituary/burial notice by searching old newspapers. Check here: http://newspaperarchive.com/us/pennsylv ... ladelphia/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you but there is a fee for that.............
Grazie,

Dolores
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Yeah, life is mean like that sometimes.

Are you certain about the Nunziante name? It is not a common Italian name...

Do you know anything about his wife? Her given name? Surname?
Carmine

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Fairly certain of the Nunziante given name although there were different spellings. His wife was Maria Rosaria d'Agostino.
Grazie,

Dolores
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In case you did not see this newspaper article about the pursuit of the murderer...
Philadelphia Inquirer, 30 December 1884

In the article it states that the deceased was known by his employer as "No. 25", but that the passport they found was for "Nevaciante Ciampi"

The article outlines the case, and the pursuit of the murderer who they appear to identify in the article as Giuseppi Davino. He had fled to New York and sailed back to Italy and his town.
The District Attorney in Philadelphia was planning to return him from there for trial.

Last column "Over the Seas" (be patient, it takes a bit of time to load)
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspapers ... .html&.pdf

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Marriage record Nunziante Ciampi and Maria Rosaria Di Agostino. The record is dated March 30, 1879. I don't have time to translate the entire document just now...

I found it here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348573801
Carmine

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you so much. I do have this record. I think the bride was born about 1853.
Grazie,

Dolores
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

And here you go: Article titled "Tracked To Italy" bottom center of the page

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspapers ... .html&.pdf

Carmine

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

That's great! What newspaper and date was it in please? I wonder if justice was served!?
Grazie,

Dolores
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

dmurphy1940 wrote:That's great! What newspaper and date was it in please? I wonder if justice was served!?
The Philadelphia Inquirer, Monday, November 22, 1886, Page 2
Carmine