1948 Case with Luigi Paiano

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bspaggs

Re: 1948 Case with Luigi Paiano

Post by bspaggs »

Hello all - first time poster here. My family and I have just sent all of our documents to Luigi to begin our trial process. Very exciting! There are 6 of us in the trial. I just received word from Luigi's translator, Teresa, that she is ready to begin translating our documents. I see that some of you have used her in the past and recommend her, and my question is regarding her fee. For 14 documents to be translated and sworn to, she has quoted us a fee of 1082 euros, or about 77 euros/doc. It's a bit more than I expected, but an Internet search has turned up wildly varying fees. So my question is, does this seem reasonable in your experience? Thank you all - I have learned so much from this forum already!
JuanLucke

Post by JuanLucke »

Hello everybody, I am starting my case (1948 rule) my grandma was my Italian ancestor.

I have read several comments in this forum, and I learned that in some cases it has been set a second hearing.... and this delays the process as much as 1 additional year (average).

But so far, I haven't found, what are the reasons because a Judge request a second hearing, would be amount of family members included in the case? or the current citizenship of the participants? or perhaps the distance to the Italian ancestor? what would complicate the case at such level to be necessary a second hearing?

If someone has knowledge or experience or had some feedback from Mr. Paiano about why (usually) the second hearing is requested, please, collaborate to help us know what to expect.
carylaaa

Post by carylaaa »

Hi Qliner, I thought that the translator had to be approved by the Rome courts? If you are using Luigi and it was okay that you used a translator in your state, etc. then I'd like to do the same. Could you please confirm that a translation done by someone in the USA (with notarization and apostille) was accepted by Luigi/the courts? Thank you !
pierogc

Post by pierogc »

Hi everyone! After two years of searching I am finally about to send out all the papers to Luigi Paiano. In my case it was my grandfather's great grandfather that immigrated to Peru sometime in the 1800s. Does anyone has any experience on how long it will take for the court to make decision? I heard some get it in the first hearing. Anyways, I am praying, and trusting God. Was encouraging to hear many successful stories in this website!

In Christ,

Piero
JuanLucke

Post by JuanLucke »

Response to [bspaggs],

In Italy all services are more expensive than some other countries, about translations, yes, indeed you can find cheaper or more expensive also, so 77 Euros for doc, I consider it as expensive, but, it is inside the logical range of professional translation costs in Italy, and if it is recommended by other users, then you can trust in the professionalism and quality of the translation.

In the country where I reside, the cost by doc is cheaper, so I decided to send the documents already translated to Italy, but, it depends if the difference of price where you reside against price in Italy really worth. In some cases just to save a couple of Euros is not enough reason to delay the process.
scoziaitaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scoziaitaliano »

I understand the judge assigned to my case consistently requires a second hearing and thus the timescales quoted for that second hearing to come around are quite disappointing - just crossing my fingers that the judge isn't changed too! Likewise, I have no idea as to the purpose of the second hearing and why this is not mandatory. My first hearing is coming up shortly so I will report my own experience once I receive an update.
scoziaitaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scoziaitaliano »

Well, as expected my judge has determined there should be a second hearing and that it should take place at the end of November. I understand that the judge just quickly checked the documentation at the first hearing, which I believe is normal course for his determination of these matters.

I was prepared for this particular judge ordering a second hearing (apparently he always does so) and I guessed it would likely be towards the end of the year before a second hearing was assigned. If I get the whole process wrapped up in 18 months from start to finish I will be very lucky I guess, but probably more like two years.
Ledman

Post by Ledman »

Does anyone know if judge MONICA VELLETTI usually requires a second hearing? I am just trying to get a sense of timing on my case. Best to you all!
JuanLucke

Post by JuanLucke »

Hello Ledman,

I made a quick search about your judge, one good example is user manu, you can search his posts to have a better idea of how his process progressed. As far as I saw, Velletti was quick and in manu's case it was resolved in just one hearing.....
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

bspaggs wrote: 13 Feb 2017, 17:25 I just received word from Luigi's translator, Teresa, that she is ready to begin translating our documents. I see that some of you have used her in the past and recommend her, and my question is regarding her fee. For 14 documents to be translated and sworn to, she has quoted us a fee of 1082 euros, or about 77 euros/doc. It's a bit more than I expected
These type of services do cost more in Italy so I'd say you're in the ballpark. I paid an Italian translator 1,000 Euros for fewer than 14 pages. I also paid 50 Euros for an apostille with a wait time of 15 to 20 days with wait time not guaranteed.
JuanLucke

Post by JuanLucke »

Hello everybody,

I have have a technical question about the process (in case of anyone knows).

if at the end of the process when the documents (birth act, marriage, etc) already registered in the comune, finally are placed into your hands.... (not my case, I am barely at middle of the process)

would be possible while staying as tourist in Italy to request the passport there?, or it has to be done by force only where you resides legally! I am not talking about to be with a residency in Italy but as a tourist. I wonder about it, because if you already have been declared as Italian citizen and you are legally staying as tourist in Italy and you have in your hands the confirmation of your citizenship and the necessary documents..... I don't see any obstacle to do it, but I am not familiar with the Italian requisites or constraints about it.

In some countries, a citizen who needs his ID has only to present a document confirming its identity (driver license or birth act or anything else stating who you are).

I can request my passport in the Italian embassy or consulate in the Country where I am legally residing, however, if I am able to do it in Italy while traveling as tourist, would be the best opportunity to make the trip!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

You can apply for your passport in Italy only if you intend to remain in Italy for more than three months and have established residency. All Italian citizens in Italy for longer than three months must apply for residency, whether or not they are obtaining a passport. If this were the case, you would apply for the passport at your local Questura (police station).
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

According to the Ministero degli Affari Erteri:

"As a rule, passport applications are submitted to the local authorities competent for the applicant’s place of residence, in Italy and abroad. Italian citizens can, nevertheless, request issuance of the passport at any issuing office in Italy or abroad, but in such cases the authorities competent for the applicant’s place of residence must delegate their responsibility in writing, which could lengthen the time it takes to issue the passport."

So you need to get a delegation from your consulate in order to do so.

From the same source, in addition to the delegation letter, you would also need:

----

"passport application form, completed and signed by the applicant;

display of valid identification document, in compliance with D.P.R. 445/2000;

2 recent photographs (identical, face-front, colour, 35 x 40 mm);

receipt for payment of fee and related government tax for use of passport, except in cases of exemption, as stated in art. 19 of Law no. 1185/1967;

If the applicant has children under the age of 18, written statement of consent to issuance of the passport of the other parent, regardless of applicant’s civil status (single, married, separated or divorced); if the applicant is under the age of 18, written statement of consent of both parents; if the applicant is under the age of 18 and foreign-born, it is necessary to submit the child’s birth certificate – translated and legalised (or with affixed apostille) to the authorised consulate or, where required, a multilingual format certificate."
JuanLucke

Post by JuanLucke »

thank you both Jennabet and Mler for the detailed explanation...

it seems more complicated to do it in the way that Mler explains, then it would be easier to request it in the Italian consulate of my residency country.

However, I wonder if according to the Jennabet explanation, the mentioned residency has to be a foreign third country residency for work/study/family reunion, etc.? (that is very complicated just to have it for requesting the passport) or already having the official court document stating that you are Italian citizen would be requested an Italian citizen residence, I mean a residence as normal Italian citizen? and having the residence it would proceed to request the passport and the ID.....
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but I think what jennebet is saying is that you need to apply wherever you officially reside. If you establish residency in Italy, you can certainly apply for a passport there, but it's not like in the US, where you can apply in just about any post office.

However, according to the Ministero, it is technically possible to apply elsewhere (in Italy or in another Italian consulate) if your resident consulate gives you permission to do so. I can't imagine too many situations where this approach would be better.

Once your citizenship is recognized, it really is very easy to set up a passport appointment. This is a simple process, and there is not a long wait.

In fact, it makes sense to do it this way because technically as an Italian citizen you should be entering Italy with an Italian passport.

Your question puzzles me because I can think of no practical reason for postponing obtaining your passport until you travel to Italy.