Departure Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
teebee

Departure Records

Post by teebee »

Does the U.S. Federal Government keep a searchable database of passengers who departed from a U.S. port to Europe during the period 1918-1922?
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Departure Records

Post by erudita74 »

teebee wrote:Does the U.S. Federal Government keep a searchable database of passengers who departed from a U.S. port to Europe during the period 1918-1922?

Not as far as I know.
Erudita
teebee

Post by teebee »

Does maybe the Italian Government keep a searchable database of passengers arrived from the U.S.A. by ship during the period 1918-1922?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are no known records of either type.

Sorry. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

teebee wrote:Does maybe the Italian Government keep a searchable database of passengers arrived from the U.S.A. by ship during the period 1918-1922?
I know in my mother-in-law's parents' town in Caserta Province, the town keeps a list called "listi imbarchi" of individuals from that town who left the town for Buenos Aires, Argentina, in South America, and then later returned there. A personal friend who is a doctor in Naples, but also a local historian for that town, was able to get information for me. There are no published lists, however, and the town itself has never answered any of my emails. It's possible that other towns maintained such lists, but I really can't say. You would have to contact your ancestral towns directly and inquire.

Erudita
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

no departure records are maintained by the US government but you might want to write to the relevant UFFICIO ANAGRAFE of the destination town of origin in Italy and inquire if they maintain any records of arrival in Italy on or about the time you specify in that town. Census records are available every 10 years when a new census is taken in Italy
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in town name and then click on the blue town name when it comes up for the MUNICIPIO and send a letter or e-mail to the UFFICIO ANAGRAFE (census office).
~Peter~
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

PeterTimber wrote:Go to http://www.nonsolocap.it and put in town name and then click on the blue town name when it comes up for the MUNICIPIO and send a letter or e-mail to the UFFICIO ANAGRAFE (census office).

Email addresses with "pec" in them are for official govt business only. If you try emailing the town anagrafe offices using these email addresses, they will bounce back to you as "undeliverable."

Erudita
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

PeterTimber wrote:no departure records are maintained by the US government but you might want to write to the relevant UFFICIO ANAGRAFE of the destination town of origin in Italy and inquire if they maintain any records of arrival in Italy on or about the time you specify in that town. Census records are available every 10 years when a new census is taken in Italy
I would think the answer is NO to the question as to whether Italian towns maintain arrival records. When I arrived and sought residency in my comune after obtaining my Italian passport through the Philadelphia Consulate, I was not asked when or how I arrived. Possibly, however, the situation is different today for thousands of non-EU migrants arriving in Italy uninvited and seeking asylum. Perhaps for asylum cases, the towns might need arrival information but I don't think it would be available to the public, as that type of information would be private in trying to afford the same rights to everyone, whether or not they're in the country legally.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

"You don"t think" they would furnish the information which means you don't know....Census records from 1911 or 1921 to 1991 are also found in each Comune's Anagrafe (registers office). THE AVILABILITY TO THE PUBLIC DIFFERS FROM COMUNE TO COMUNE........so if you don't try you will never know
~Peter~
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Census records are obtained from established residents usually at their personal residences. Often census records DO provide the year of arrival but this is frequently wrong because there was no way for the census worker to verify the information. It's not likely that any commune would keep a record of the actual arrival date of someone seeking to establish residency because as I said in a previous post, this information is not asked for when establishing residency. However, a foreigner arriving with a visa might be asked for arrival information because the visa would have an expiration date. I don't know if foreigners arriving in Italy between 1918 and 1922 entered on visas or not.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

johnnyonthespot wrote:There are no known records of either type.

Sorry. :)
Good answer. Brief, correct, and to the point. If you had tried to elaborate on why these types of records aren't kept, you may have also gotten yelled at like I did.