US Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jabricci

US Naturalization

Post by jabricci »

Hi, hoping someone out there can assist/advise. We are from Perth, Western Australia and are trying to trace details of family that emigrated from Sicily to the US in the 1920's.

My husbands grandfather left Sicily and arrived in the US in 1926 with his wife and son( one son was left behind in Sicily- later dying in WW2). Another son was born in the US. I have a copy of the shipping manifest with their details on and also a Petition for US Citizenship in 1927.

The marriage broke down and he returned to Sicily, leaving his wife and sons in the US. He eventually began another family in Sicily and it is from this line that my husband comes from?

We are trying to gather the following information
1. How can I confirm that he became a Citizen?
2. How can I obtain a copy of his wife's death certificate if we are not related. I believe we need this to locate her sons and their families.

My father in law and his sibling are now ageing and curious as to what happened to their brothers in the US?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Re: US Naturalization

Post by jmb44 »

The U.S. immigration service should be able to confirm naturalization. Death certificates in the US are generally the province of the states. You should be able to get an uncertified copy even though you are not a descendent . If you don't know the state where the death occurred, search the social security death index (assuming they had a social security number). You can do at Family Search for free. Assuming they are listed that will tell you the state in which they died and you can contact that state for the death certificate. Good luck.