Boston to New York

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Esperito

Boston to New York

Post by Esperito »

My grandmother arrived at the BOSTON Port on September 16, 1913 aboard the S.S. Canopic from Naples. She could not read, nor write Italian nor English> Did not speak English. I cannot find how she arrived in NY. She once said that she came from 2 boats ! But there is no record of her arriving at Ellis Island. Her husband was living in Ossining, New York, Westchester County and that's where she was headed. BUT how would she have gotten there. I tried to get help from BOSTON, but they were no help. I would appreciate any suggestions. There is no one left in my family to ask. Her maiden name was Della Penna. Married name was Esposito. She travelled under Della Penna and her children travelled under the name Esposito ( Mario and Giuseppe )
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Boston to New York

Post by Tessa78 »

Esperito wrote:My grandmother arrived at the BOSTON Port on September 16, 1913 aboard the S.S. Canopic from Naples. She could not read, nor write Italian nor English> Did not speak English. I cannot find how she arrived in NY. She once said that she came from 2 boats ! But there is no record of her arriving at Ellis Island. Her husband was living in Ossining, New York, Westchester County and that's where she was headed. BUT how would she have gotten there. I tried to get help from BOSTON, but they were no help. I would appreciate any suggestions. There is no one left in my family to ask. Her maiden name was Della Penna. Married name was Esposito. She travelled under Della Penna and her children travelled under the name Esposito ( Mario and Giuseppe )
Just an FYI -
On the 1913 Manifest for the SS Canopic arriving Boston...
Maddelena Della Penna's children were "dittoed" under her surname, so they traveled under the name Della Penna, not Esposito.
They were "booked through to Ossining, NY" according to the manifest, as you stated.
This does not mean they went by boat, though it is possible. More than likely they traveled by train to NYC, then by smaller vessel up the Husdon River to Ossining.

They are toward the bottom of the image of the manifest... click to enlarge

T.