USCIS Turnaround time question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
dbotig
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 16 Dec 2015, 20:41

USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by dbotig » 02 Jan 2016, 05:47

I sent off for an Index search at the USCIS at he end of November 2015. I was wondering if anyone has ever sent for an index search and if so, how long did it take for you to get the results? I received a letter saying they got my request, but I'm so anxious to get back the results. :)

James
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 23 Nov 2015, 06:14
Contact:

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by James » 02 Jan 2016, 06:20

dbotig wrote:I sent off for an Index search at the USCIS at he end of November 2015. I was wondering if anyone has ever sent for an index search and if so, how long did it take for you to get the results? I received a letter saying they got my request, but I'm so anxious to get back the results. :)
A lot of times requests to USCIS get forwarded to other agencies IE: state, county, etc... For the complete picture. I would estimate a few months to get a response back.

I am happy to hear you got a reply that they started your search! That is a good sign :)

-Jim
James
http://www.yourfamilybible.com
Professional Genealogy Services

Paula7928
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Oct 2015, 05:03

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by Paula7928 » 03 Jan 2016, 23:26

Took one month for me. I did not do an index search, just wrote a letter to USCIS with all the info on my ancestor. After 2 weeks they called me for more info and said it would take 2 more weeks which it did. So one month total back in Oct. of this year.

James
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 23 Nov 2015, 06:14
Contact:

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by James » 04 Jan 2016, 01:24

Paula7928 wrote:Took one month for me. I did not do an index search, just wrote a letter to USCIS with all the info on my ancestor. After 2 weeks they called me for more info and said it would take 2 more weeks which it did. So one month total back in Oct. of this year.
Do you have a call back number for that department?
James
http://www.yourfamilybible.com
Professional Genealogy Services

Paula7928
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Oct 2015, 05:03

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by Paula7928 » 05 Jan 2016, 06:11

This is the address I wrote to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
ATTN: Records Operations Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20529-2204

Be sure to save the envelope if you receive a No Record Found letter. I read online somewhere that the envelope is required along with the letter.

James
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 23 Nov 2015, 06:14
Contact:

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by James » 05 Jan 2016, 06:32

Paula7928 wrote:This is the address I wrote to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
ATTN: Records Operations Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20529-2204

Be sure to save the envelope if you receive a No Record Found letter. I read online somewhere that the envelope is required along with the letter.
I sent a letter to the same address the week before American Thanksgiving. I will expect it this month as it would most likely have been delayed with the holidays.
James
http://www.yourfamilybible.com
Professional Genealogy Services

Paula7928
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Oct 2015, 05:03

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by Paula7928 » 05 Jan 2016, 06:38

I will PM you with the phone number of the person who contacted me for additional info. I saved her number just in case I needed it. She was very helpful. I would think that by now you would have heard something. But of course with the holidays alot of people take vacation time.

dojo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Apr 2014, 14:53

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by dojo » 05 Jan 2016, 17:40

FWIW, it took them 5 months for me to get a reply. I completely forgot about it by the time I received a letter in the mail from them.

Edit: It was for a No Record search.

dbotig
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 16 Dec 2015, 20:41

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by dbotig » 08 Jan 2016, 05:04

What exactly is a No Record search or No Record found letter?

dojo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Apr 2014, 14:53

Re: USCIS Turnaround time question

Post by dojo » 08 Jan 2016, 22:07

It's a No Record of Naturalization. It basically says they can't find any documentation on whoever you searched for, so they never naturalized.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest