Italian Citizenship HELP!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
BriannaS

Italian Citizenship HELP!

Post by BriannaS »

OK. Here's my problem. My father was born in 1944 to my grandmother Luigia Canepa and Enzo Ganna. In 1945 my grandfather died and in 1949 my grandmother remarried Mario Peirano. My "grandfather," Mario adopted my father, thereby oblitterating any evidence that Enzo Ganna was the father. My father and I carry the last name Pierano.
(My grandfather, Mario, became an American citizen in 1946, after my father was born.)
However, according to documents, my father was born out of an extramarital affair.
Also, on the marriage certificate between my grandmother and grandfather (Luigia and Mario) my grandmother still has the last name Ganna. (They were married in the US.)
I have both marriage certificates of grandmother (between Enzo and Mario) to show continuity of last name, Canepa-Ganna-Pierano.
My father and I were both born in the US and my father's birth certificate bears the name Mario Peirano as the father of the child. According to Italian law, I can claim citizenship through my grandfather. However, my concern is that the consulate will call into question the fact that my father was "technically" born out of an affair.
There is no way to prove or disprove he was adopted, as all records are sealed and names on birth certificates are changed.
It's a complex problem, but I would like some feedback. Thank you!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian Citizenship HELP!

Post by wldspirit »

Taken from a FAQ on another site...

Q. What if I have discrepancies in names or dates on birth, marriage or death certificates?

A. Carefully check all documents word by word and make a list of all changes in names, last names, dates and places of birth. Discrepancies in the certificates of spouses of Italian ancestors are less important than discrepancies in the certificates of those on the Italian side. Smaller discrepancies (such as adding a middle name in a marriage certificate that didn't appear in a birth certificate) will probably be accepted by the Italian authority. You will have to amend major discrepancies, such as changes in names or birth dates relating to your Italian ancestor with an official "affidavit to amend a record" or other official document. These must be requested from the vital statistics office that issued the certificate. If you are unsure whether a discrepancy warrants a correction, contact the Italian authority that will be processing your application. Discrepancies can cause major delays if you don't correct them immediately!!!

There is a lawyer who specializes in Italian law who answers post on the
following site:
http://www.virtualitalia.com/

good luck with your citizenship,
wldspirit
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Citizenship HELP!

Post by italy50 »

Brianna, the Italian Consulate usually requires proof of "continuity" in a family`s bloodline, in order to qualify you for Italian Citizenship. I am afraid I can`t help you much in regards to 'adoption', as it is beyond my expertise. However, I believe you will have to establish proof of continuity between you and your grandfather. Since your grandmothers married name (Ganna), is on her 'second' marriage certificate, it will not match her birth certificate, which of course shows "Canepa". The consulate will probably want the following documents from you: Your grandmothers birth certificate, your grandmother`s first marriage cert., your grandmothers second marriage cert., your grandfathers death cert., your birth cert., your father`s birth cert., your mother`s birth cert., your marriage cert. (if applicable). It does not matter if your father was born illigitimate, as he is still your father. your proof will come from your birth certificate and your fathers. As for sealing records, it sounds as though you may need an attorney, as your "birthright" is now in question. You are elegible for Italian citizenship based upon what you are saying, and I would certainly pursue it.