Ellis Island Images

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Essgee
Master
Master

Ellis Island Images

Post by Essgee »

Is anyone else having trouble looking at the Ellis Island ship manifests? For the past couple of days I keep getting "no image available" on a black screen when I attempt to see the manifest. Once and a while it goes through...but it is totally frustrating. Happens at both the Morse site and the EI site.

Is there something I am doing wrong here?????? Happened to me last weekend as well.....

Any ideas?
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island Images

Post by mfjp »

I've complained about 10 times already...

I would write to Dr. Morse as I have done many times and he always helps out... It is the Jewish Holidays and as much as I want to write... I will wait. He's such a nice person too. Maybe I will email him this link after all...

It's true.. once in awhile it does go through.. I just click "next image" and then click back to the original image and sometimes it will go through...

As soon as I get the manifest I want... I download it ... in order to study from it...

But what a mess eh??

Essgee, if there's a particular manifest you want, PM me and I will send it to you in a jpeg format... until we get the problem solved...

This problem has been into it's 4th consecutive day... :( mfjp

Edit #1 - just emailed Dr. Morse... hopefully some answers.
Jengehino

Post by Jengehino »

Essgee wrote:Is anyone else having trouble looking at the Ellis Island ship manifests? For the past couple of days I keep getting "no image available" on a black screen when I attempt to see the manifest. Once and a while it goes through...but it is totally frustrating. Happens at both the Morse site and the EI site.

Is there something I am doing wrong here?????? Happened to me last weekend as well.....

Any ideas?
Thank God!!!!! I thought it was my computer...........It's driving me nuts.
I hope it gets straightened out soon.........

Frustrated, amateur geneologist...John
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Thanks guys.....I was afraid it was my computer...

mfjp.....you are right about the holiday...and about Dr. Morse...he is a sweetheart. Thanks for the offer, but I wasn't really doing anything that cannot wait, just tooling through. Maybe by the end of the weekend it will fix itself. I have found that if I stay on very late at night, I have better success...sometimes I think heavy traffic causes it...if I refresh a couple of times, sometimes the image "sneaks through"!

Oh well....thanks for contacting Dr. Morse...will wait for his answer to you.

Have a great day, all...................
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Can I quote your message at the forum? (Cut and paste?) You explained it better than I could..

With Thanks!!
Maria

Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:14:13 -0700

Maria,

Looks like one or more of the servers at the ellisisland.org site is malfunctioning.  They have five severs to handle the load and it is usually random as to which one you get each time.

You don't need to go forward and back when that happens -- simply keep reloading the same page and after a few tries you'll usually get the image.

I just wrote an automated test program that repeatedly fetches images and records how many times it was fetched successfully.  I'm getting failure about 80% of the time.  That means that four of their five servers are having problems.  I will send a message to the ellisisland.org staff informing them of the problem and my diagnosis.

Thanks for alerting me to the problem.

-- Steve Morse
mfjp.....you are right about the holiday...and about Dr. Morse...he is a sweetheart.
He's there for us!! With thanks, mfjp :P
---------------------------------------------
You don't need to go forward and back when that happens -- simply keep reloading the same page and after a few tries you'll usually get the image.
Just click your web browsers "refresh" button a few times... and you should see an image... it could even take up to 10 clicks...
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

Essgee wrote:Is anyone else having trouble looking at the Ellis Island ship manifests? For the past couple of days I keep getting "no image available" on a black screen when I attempt to see the manifest. Once and a while it goes through...but it is totally frustrating. Happens at both the Morse site and the EI site.

Any ideas?
========================================

yesterday when i did some look-ups i encountered the same problem. not by design but just plain luck, i would hit my back button and try again. happily i would lose the "no message available". another thing that i discovered by accident. it is not necessary to wait until the manifest opening is completed. as soon as it starts to scroll down i click on the "enlarger" button. it works and that sort of speeds up things.
now if only the copying of the original manifest is opened up again that would be a blessing.

ciao, juan--------------
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Looks like they fixed this problem sometime this afternoon... what a mess...

Luckily Dr. Morse was able to tell explain what the problem was..., how to get through it... etc... and didn't hesitate to reply either... He's a genius!

He also has a Speaking Schedule... should someone wish to see him.
http://www.stevemorse.org/abstracts.html (see mid-page)

October 19: Oliphant, PA -- Genealogical Research Society of Northern Pennsylvania
November 9: Sacramento, CA -- Roots Cellar/Sacramento Genealogical Society
December 18: Sacramento, CA -- Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

mfjp
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

mfjp wrote:Looks like they fixed this problem sometime this afternoon... what a mess...

Luckily Dr. Morse was able to tell explain what the problem was..., how to get through it... etc... and didn't hesitate to reply either... He's a genius!

He also has a Speaking Schedule... should someone wish to see him.
http://www.stevemorse.org/abstracts.html (see mid-page)

October 19: Oliphant, PA -- Genealogical Research Society of Northern Pennsylvania
November 9: Sacramento, CA -- Roots Cellar/Sacramento Genealogical Society
December 18: Sacramento, CA -- Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

===============================================

i will be able to see and hear mr. morse at olyphant. i made my reservation as soon a i heard he would be a guest speaker.

the amazing thing about this fine gentlman is noteworthy. he is not charging any fee for his appearance. that speaks volumes about this gent.

ciao, j...............................

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

i will be able to see and hear mr. morse at olyphant. i made my reservation as soon a i heard he would be a guest speaker.

the amazing thing about this fine gentlman is noteworthy. he is not charging any fee for his appearance. that speaks volumes about this gent.

ciao, j...............................
:(

don't see Toronto on his list... please let us know how it went...

mfjp
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

I am also a big fan of the genius of Steven Morse. I also concur with those who remarked about how gracious he is answering emails. Thanks for posting that link to his speaking schedule. Doesn't look like he'll be heading my way any time soon. :cry:

You know...I once stumped Mr. Morse. Thats right...leave it to my dead relatives to stump Dr. Steven Morse. :wink:
Donna Pellegrin
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Did you ever find that manifest??
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

You are just a glutton for punishment, Maria. LOL.

It was kind of a backward problem. Let me explain...

I was looking through Pignanelli people on the Ellis Island website to find relatives of my great-grandmother, Lucrezia Pignanelli. (She was born in San Giovanni in Fiore. She was maried to Pietro Oliverio. She immigrated in May of 1901, died in August of 1902 and is buried in Fairmont, West Virginia.) So...I found two interesting manifests on the Ellis Island site.

Giovanni Pignanelli
age 30
from San Giovanni in Fiore
arrived 21 January 1902
SS Lahn
going to Fairmont to meet sister Lucrezia

and

Giovanni Pignanelli
age 31
from San Giovanni in Fiore
arrived 2 January 1902
SS Trave
going to Fairmont to meet brother in law Pietro Oliverio

The puzzle is that this fellow made two trips across the ocean in three weeks. And that just can't be.

Both manifests are viewable on the Ellis Island site...so it's not a matter of finding a missing manifest. It is a reverse problem. I have seen the manifests on the Ellis Island site. I know the ship names. But something is very wrong with the one of the arrival dates. I think the Trave manifest is probably the one with the wrong date. I went page by page through manifests looking for the right ship and never found it. And it's really not all that important...it's just one of those curiosities.

Dr. Morse told me that if I ever figured it out that I should let him know.
Donna Pellegrin
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

That is weird... I took a look at the detained passenger list for this voyage (TRAVE) and he wasn't on it... so there wasn't a problem... so it would look like he did set sail.... I've seen manifests with the notation "Did not sail" even tho it had all their info... but this is a weird one... .. These manifests don't have any description of them either "height, eyes, hair etc..."
-----------------------
TRAVE
Set sail on the 18th of December, 1901
Sworn on the 19th of December, 1901 by Captain Sohaeffer(?)

First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Pignanelli
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: S. Giov. Fiore
Date of Arrival: Jan 02, 1902
Age at Arrival:  31    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Trave
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0018

Going to B-i-L Pietro Oliverio
----------------------------------------------
Sworn on the 10th day of January, 1902 by Captain Wettin
Last Place of Residence: S. G. Fiere
Date of Arrival: Jan 21, 1902
Age at Arrival:  30y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Lahn
Manifest Line Number: 0014

Going to sister Lecrezia

And this definately the same person?? Unless there was another Giovanni who was married to a sister of Pietro?... but they were both single... :? this one is hard to explain...

mfjp
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

mfjp wrote:That is weird... I took a look at the detained passenger list for this voyage (TRAVE) and he wasn't on it... so there wasn't a problem... so it would look like he did set sail.... I've seen manifests with the notation "Did not sail" even tho it had all their info... but this is a weird one... .. These manifests don't have any description of them either "height, eyes, hair etc..."
-----------------------
TRAVE
Set sail on the 18th of December, 1901
Sworn on the 19th of December, 1901 by Captain Sohaeffer(?)

Last Place of Residence: S. Giov. Fior
Date of Arrival: Jan 02, 1902
Age at Arrival:  31    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Trave

Manifest Line Number: 0018

Going to B-i-L Pietro Oliverio
Sworn on the 10th day of January, 1902 by Captain Wettin
Last Place of Residence: S. G. Fiere
Date of Arrival: Jan 21, 1902
Age at Arrival:  30y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Lahn
Manifest Line Number: 0014

Going to sister Lecrezia

And this definately the same person?? Unless there was another Giovanni who was married to a sister of Pietro?... but they were both single... :? this one is hard to explain...

mfjp
==============================================
the boarding on the ship trave has a line through his name. that would indicate that he missed/ did not board the ship.
j.....................
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Yes, that does sound logical.

Yes... I saw the line too... I wasn't sure if it was just underlined... but there no mention of it on the actual list and on the detained list that he "did not board"...

Somewhere within those records should be a tally sheet... (hopefully)... something to look into.

So he - gave in his information to the record keeper... and then left the ship or missed it all together?

I often wondered how long it took to admit everyone on the ship before they actually set sail...
the boarding on the ship trave has a line through his name. that would indicate that he missed/ did not board the ship.
j.....................
mfjp