Why do dual citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kidalot2

Why do dual citizenship?

Post by kidalot2 »

i've been reading the threads about attempts to attain dual citizenship, but i think i am missing the point of why people are doing this. In my case, all four of my grandparents emigrated from italy to the US in the early 1900's. my parents were born in the US. I was born after 1/1/48. I don't think any of my grandparents attained US citizenship. i never found any of their papers. i know for sure that neither of my grandmothers were citizens of the US. I have found 3 of their birth certificates online so i could probably get the certified copies. i also have located their marriage licenses (married in the US). Knowing this info, what is the advantage of obtaining dual citizenship. it is my dream to travel to my grandparents' homes in italy and i know i still have relatives - though distant- there. again, what is the advantage?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Why do dual citizenship?

Post by mler »

The reasons vary. Some plan to live/work in Italy or the EU or want to easily be able to do so at a future date. Some want to expand possibilities for their children and grandchildren. Some want to connect to their roots and honor their ancestors. Some feel a cultural connection they wish to acknowledge.

There are as many reasons as there are people who go through the process. Only you can decide if it's right for you.