Cristofero Salvatore & Maria Parrilli

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jasalva

Cristofero Salvatore & Maria Parrilli

Post by jasalva »

I have searched Ancestry and Family Search for an immigration record for Cristofero Salvatore and his wife, Maria Parrilli Salvatore with no success. The 1900 Census (USA) states that Cristofero was born in 1855, his wife Maria was born in April of 1860 (other documents state 1859). The census states that they immigrated to USA in 1889.
It appears as though their first two children who came with them from Italy were Anthony b. Jun 1881 and Joseph b. 1883. The family was from Ricigliano. Could someone please assist me.
Judy Salvatore
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Cristofero Salvatore & Maria Parrilli

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post a link to the 1900 US Census that you referenced?

T.
jasalva

Post by jasalva »

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/00 ... dit/record
If this doesn't come through correctly, please let me know.
Thank you,
Judy Link Salvatore
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jasalva wrote:http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/00 ... dit/record
If this doesn't come through correctly, please let me know.
Thank you,
Judy Link Salvatore
Thanks for the link...

I will see what I can find.
There is always the possibility that they entered the US at a border with Canada or Mexico,having traveled by ship to one of those countries.
I checked the Castle Garden site (arrivals in NY prior to 1892), but I was unable to locate any of them.

I noticed on the 1910 US Census that Maria and her sons have 1888 as their arrival. This would agree with the 1900 Census that you posted where son, James, was born in July 1888 in USA (both both parents list their immigration year as 1889 :roll: )
Interesting that on James Salvatore's WWI Registration Card, he lists his birthdate as 6 July 1887...
That would mean that the family had to arrive before this date.

Since Italian women travel under their maiden name, I searched for her sons with the last name listed as Parilli. (Correct spelling in Ricigliano is Parrilli :-) )
Found a POSSIBILTY in the Castel Garden site (no pic, just the info) for Antonio Parilli, age 3, country of birth Italy, arrival on 9 April 1886 on ship SS Canada. Destination United States.
http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9805429

T.
jasalva

Post by jasalva »

Would the child be listed under the mother's maiden name, as listed in the site that you listed?
Judy
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Sometimes when a child/children are traveling with the mother, they inadvertently are listed under her name (Italian women travel with their maiden name), so it is possible... that is why I searched for the children under Parilli. :-)

T.
jasalva

Post by jasalva »

Thank you. Maria was also listed as "Sarrilli" instead of "Parrilli". I am sure that this was a mistake.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jasalva wrote:Thank you. Maria was also listed as "Sarrilli" instead of "Parrilli". I am sure that this was a mistake.
Perhaps it was a mistake of the transcription of the manifest for the digital database, and not an error on the manifest...
Sometimes that handwriting is hard to read :-)

T.