Unsure where to apply

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
stereOMantra

Unsure where to apply

Post by stereOMantra »

Hello everybody, here is my story.

I am a US citizen, 99% sure I can get my Italian citizenship through my grandmother. I grew up in New York and I have a NY address on my passport, but my NY driver's license has expired and I haven't been there in two years. I lived in Oregon for 11 months but never got my driver's license there either and don't know if I established residency. Currently I am in New Zealand right now traveling and will be here for another 11 months. I do have my NZ license. I am wondering if I will be able to apply for my citizenship here (I will try contacting the consulate soon), or if not which consulate I would apply to since I'm not sure which state I am considered a resident of.

Cheers
forestmaiden71
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Unsure where to apply

Post by forestmaiden71 »

Residency rules vary by state, so it's best to check with your Department of Revenue if you are unsure about your state residency status. Usually, though, you are a resident of a state if that's where your main home is located for the entire tax year. It's the state where you intend to live when you return from a vacation, business trip, school, etc.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Unsure where to apply

Post by jennabet »

If you have legal residence in NZ, you must apply there. If not, you would apply in New York, particularly if most of your American records were created in New York. You don't need a driver's license to apply but you would need to show some other proof of NY residence such as a utility bill. If you're retired you can use your social security statement.