getting name correction for NYC Municipal Archives death cert.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
manhattanmac5

getting name correction for NYC Municipal Archives death cert.

Post by manhattanmac5 »

Hi everyone,

This was a most annoying snag that emerged recently. Boo. My great grandfather Pasquale was listed as "Patsy" (a common nickname for Pasquale) on his 1935 death certificate. Not exactly the most professional, Mr. Medical Examiner!! So, as some of you know, the Municipal Archives who issues the pre-1949 death certificates "does not do any amendments or corrections" to it's documents. Bummer. The NYC Department of Heath and Mental Hygiene says "that's not our record so we can't correct it."

There must be some recourse. I heard vague rumours about an "affidavit to the NYC County Clerk's Office" but I have no idea what that means or how to proceed. This sounds like lawyer time. (cringe!)

Any help would be most appreciated :) :)

MacNeill
lanycla

Re: getting name correction for NYC Municipal Archives death cert.

Post by lanycla »

Hi-

Did anyone ever respond to you about this? My grandfather was born in NYC in 1908 and his last name was spelled incorrectly on the birth certificate. When I contacted the NYC Dept of Health about correcting it I got the same response you did...BUT...I requested a NYC No Change letter from the NYC Municipal Archives which was accepted at the consulate.