Question Regarding Name Differences

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rdothoward

Question Regarding Name Differences

Post by rdothoward »

Hello!

First, let me say thank you in advance for any information you share to help me answer this question.

My great grandfather came to America in 1910 and did not apply for naturalization until the 1930s, long after his children were born. I know I qualify for italian citizenship through jure sanguinis and have all the paperwork. The thing I am concerned with is that my great grandfather was born Ferdinand Odorisio, which is the name he used when immigrating as well as on his marriage certificate, is not the name his death certificate, as well as not the name listed on my grandfather's birth certificate. The name he started going by is Fred O'Dorisio, which is essentially the same, just with the added apostrophe. The naturalization paperwork I received shows that he entered the country as Ferdinand Odorisio and that he was now going by Fred O'Dorisio, so my question is this: do I need to provide further documentation to establish he is the same person?

Again, thank you for any help you can provide!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Question Regarding Name Differences

Post by mler »

If both names are referenced on the naturalization papers, it seems you will not have a problem.
rdothoward

Re: Question Regarding Name Differences

Post by rdothoward »

Thank you very much!