Can I use Great grandmother for citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
A.Michelle
Rookie
Rookie

Can I use Great grandmother for citizenship?

Post by A.Michelle »

Long story. Sorry. Great grandfather immigrated to US from Italy, but on all papers, including those associated with naturalization, he used an incorrect birthdate. He was born July 19, but he used July 16. I can get his birth date corrected on his death certificate, but I have no idea how to do this on naturalization papers.

My great grandmother also immigrated, and as far as I can tell didn't file any papers at all associated with naturalization. She was born in 1873. My grandmother was born in 1910. My Dad was born in 1940. Because of the dates, I was pursuing a 1948 case anyway, so can I use my great grandmother as my Italian ancestor rather than my great grandfather?

Thanks for any advice!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Can I use Great grandmother for citizenship?

Post by mler »

Yes, you can certainly use your ggm's line to trace your 1948 case.

Actually, your ggf was probably born on July 16. The date on the birth certificate was the date the midwife registered the birth, and often this took place several days after the actual birth. Your ggf chose to use his actual birth date (not all Italians did). This date discrepancy is not uncommon, and may not cause any difficulty, but since you can use your ggm's line, this will just be a back up.

Btw, based on the dates, your ggf likely naturalized before 1922, meaning your ggm obtained citizenship with him. This does not change your 1948 eligibility, since she would not have naturalized on her own behalf.

The only potential difficulty is if your ggf naturalized before the 1912 citizenship law was enacted. Before that date, all children born to a man who naturalized (whether born in the US or in Italy) automatically lost citizenship.
A.Michelle
Rookie
Rookie

Post by A.Michelle »

Thank you so much for the information, mler! I found a 1942 alien registration card, so I can't believe my ggf naturalized until during or after WWII. That's the only evidence proving or disproving naturalization I can find so far. That's how I discovered he was using July 16 on official documents. Also, the 1940 census shows "papers filed" rather than "naturalized." Again, I appreciate your help. :D
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Perfect! You're good to go.

Again, not uncommon. My maternal grandparents also naturalized in the early 1940's although they had lived in the US for many years. I think the war made many emigres a bit jittery.