Teofilo Cerutti (Teofilo Cheroti)/Due Cittadinanza

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Teofilo Cerutti (Teofilo Cheroti)/Due Cittadinanza

Post by Cheroti101 »

I contacted ICAP out of the Chicago area and have posted on here about 10 years ago. Because my ancestor went by Teofilo Cheroti after being here in the state for a while instead of his given name from what I can infer I was told the embassy will have a problem with that. I just want my dual citizenship. It has a been a long time coming. Teofilo Cerutti, Orvieto Italy, 1878. Wife Mary. All the pictures of my information will be enclosed. Just can somebody help me on what I can do. I was told the evidence needs to be had that it was Teofilo Cerutti that got married. I myself am Derrick Jaymes Cheroti. I do not know why it is so difficult as many Italian-Americans wanted to be more perceived as Americans and I believe this to be the case. Given the information I am providing what is my best case for getting my citizenship. I will reply ASAP
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.59.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.57.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.56.03 PM.png
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Teofilo Cerutti (Teofilo Cheroti)/Due Cittadinanza

Post by Cheroti101 »

Pictures Continued
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 12.06.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 12.05.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 12.00.25 AM.png
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It is less likely that the surname was changed to "Americanize" the name (he apparently kept Teofilo) and more likely that the change occurred because of a mistranscription of the name by an immigration official (the Italian "ce" sounds like "che" in English). In any case, your ancestor apparently decided to use the name he was assigned on arrival; and if, as seems likely, all subsequent documents bear this new name, you have a difficult task ahead of you. There are, however, several things you may try.

Check the immigration records. What name appears on the ship manifest?

You might also write your ancestor's comune to determine if they have any records for a Teofilo Cheroti born on the day indicated on the marriage license. They won't find any, and that provides you with your first bit of evident that Cerutti/Cheroti are the same person.

Did he naturalize? If so, what name was on the preliminary papers? If Cheroti, are his parents names listed?

You should also search his parents' records. Although he apparently misrepresented his father's surname as well (on his death, and possibly marriage, certificate), his mother's information should be consistent. This may provide more evidence that he used the two surnames interchangeably.

You might also check the offices providing his documents. Some are more flexible than others and may be willing to modify the document to read "aka Cerutti." Worth a shot.

Ultimately, you may find it best to bypass the consulates, which are becoming more and more difficult, and instead contact an attorney.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I found this on the Family Heritage site, but I'm not a member so I couldn't get further details. What's interesting about this is that it makes the Cerutti/Cheroti connection. Check it out.

Mary Nicola Cheroti (born Meloni), 1884 - 1958
Mary Nicola Cheroti (born Meloni) was born on month day 1884, at birth place, to Domenico Meloni and Madellonia (Matalena) Meloni (born Fragassie).
Mary had 3 siblings: Giuditta Malizia (born Meloni) and 2 other siblings.
Mary married Teofilo (Peter) Cheroti (Cerutti) on month day 1905, at age 21 at marriage place.
Teofilo was born on February 27 1878, in Orvieto, Italy.
They had 3 children: Clarina Sophia (Sue) Cotten (born Cheroti (Cerutti)) and 2 other children.
Mary passed away in month 1958, at age 74 at death place, North Carolina.
She was buried at burial place, North Carolina.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
if I understand well your problem, well in this case, I believe that by this record:

Teophilo Cerruti

mentioned in the record of Peter Cerruti

Name Teophilo Cerruti
age 33
birth_place Orviato, Italy

gender Male

Wife Mary Meloni

Son Peter Cerruti

Other information in the record of Peter Cerruti

from Illinois, Cook County, Birth Certificates

Name Peter Cerruti
Event Type Birth
Event Date 08 Jan 1912
Event Place , Cook, Illinois, United States
Registration Place , Cook, Illinois
Gender Male
Father's Name Teophilo Cerruti
Father's Birthplace Orviato, Italy
Father's Age 33
Father's Estimated Birth Year 1879
Mother's Name Mary Meloni
Mother's Birthplace Piauz Romano, Italy
Mother's Age 30
Mother's Estimated Birth Year 1882
Certificate Number 2307

Citing this Record

"Illinois, Cook County, Birth Certificates, 1871-1940," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQ15-TVF : 18 May 2016), Teophilo Cerruti in entry for Peter Cerruti, 08 Jan 1912; citing , Cook, Illinois, United States, reference/certificate 2307, Cook County Courthouse, Chicago; FHL microfilm 1,288,232.

the his surname was spelled in right italian....

you can provide, abt dual citizenship, the affidavit "one and the same" stating that Teofilo Cerruti and Teofilo/Teophilo Cheroti are one and same person... I believe no problem for you...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Based on the records located by suanj, it appears that your family surname changed at a later date. With this information, it should be easier for you to make the connection between the two names.
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cheroti101 »

Thank you everybody, Suanj how do I go about doing this affidavit? I am feeling overwhelmed on the process. Should I be feeling this way? From what you had said Suanj all this information is great news right? Attached is what Mark Masi at ICAP (Italian Citizenship Assistance Program) lastly wrote to me after out phone consultation. I lastly wrote, "One last question, what is my main obstacle/goal to get the citizenship. To prove what exactly? Si I can work on it. Grazie assaije"

His reply was: "That the Italian ancestor was not yet a US citizen when the next in line was born, and consistency in the spellings of names."

Is he wrong, seems like it was such a rushed experience I doubt he looked into things much other that the pictures I sent to him. He said my chances would not be good to get my Dual Citizenship.

Thank you guys so much. I just want this so bad and was pretty crushed after he said these things.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 5.44.43 PM.png
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I don't know the documents that you already have and helpfuls for dual citizenship, so my reply is a bit generic.
Abt the Affidavit: a lawyer can help you, and it is no hard, and he will be able to help you.. this problem, abt anglicization of italian surname, is a common problem, so don't worry abt that, the affidavit one and the same will be helpful, but you need of a lawyer, I believe...

and in meantime you can search abt the naturalization of Teofilo.. the date of naturalization, if he was naturalized, it is very important... from that depend your dual citizenship..
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cheroti101 »

Where do I find out about the naturalization of Teofilo?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Well, after my search, I believe that in this your search something don't matching...

I believe that the Orvieto birthplace is wrong and I don't know why it is wrote Orvieto, because by my search, seeming to me that your Teofilo was born in Pietracamela (Teramo province, Abruzzo region) He arrived in USA on 1906 and his name, right spelling, was Teofilo CERRUTI (2 r and 1 t). On 1906 he was married. Here the first arrival:
First Name : Teofilo
Last Name : Cerruti
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Pietrocamela
Date of Arrival : June 12th, 1906
Age at Arrival : 27y
Marital Status : Married
Ship of Travel : Algeria (1891)
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0013

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... e=manifest
and his final destination was the Pennsylvania.

On 1924 Teofilo Cerruti made another trip in Italy, and then back in USA:

left the Brother in law Giovanni Meloni in Pietracamela and going at home to Maria Nicola his wife
First Name : Teofilo
Nationality : Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence : Chicago, Ill.
Date of Arrival : March 22nd, 1924
Age at Arrival : 46y
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Pietrocamela
Date of Arrival : June 12th, 1906
Age at Arrival : 27y
Marital Status : Married
Ship of Travel : Algeria (1891)
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0013

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... e=manifest
index: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2299396

if you read the first page of this ship's manifest, are the marking abt naturalization, and I hope that someone here can help, reading better this marking....

On 1907 Maria followed the husband:

Maria Melone

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Maria
Surname Melone
Last Place of Residence Peteocanne
Event Date 28 Jan 1907
Age 25y
Nationality Italy, S. Italian
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York
Gender Female
Marital Status M
Ship Name Madonna

and going to husband Teofilo Cerruti

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Now, my question is: the above records are abt your ancestor?
I believe yes.

You have the Birth certificates of Teofilo and Maria? I believe no.... because they coming from Pietracamela; Teofilo surely born also, because he stated so in the trip of 1924... and Maria probably si and surely they married in Pietracamela...

Well if you think that my search is right, and also my suggestions, I hope that someone can help abt the marking in the trip of 1924, so we can know better abt his petition of naturalizatiuon, and in meantime to search the censuses, and the WWI draft registration card, because they are very helpful for the affidavit also, so you can provide documents and to explain, that Teofilo Cheroti was one and same person and he was your ancestor, because he used different spelling abt his name, but no doubt that his the same person......
Let me know your opinion...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in addition, another helpful record abt surname spelling, lacking just 1 R, but the name of wife if perfect: Maria Nicola! As on the Teofilo's trip on 1924!
Theophilus Ceruti

mentioned in the record of Clarina Sophia Ceruti

Name Theophilus Ceruti
age 38
birth_place Italy
gender Male

Wife Maria Nicola Meloni

Daughter Clarina Sophia Ceruti

Other information in the record of Clarina Sophia Ceruti

from Illinois, Cook County, Birth Certificates

Name Clarina Sophia Ceruti
Event Type Birth
Event Date 20 Jan 1916
Event Place Hubbard Woods Winnetka, Cook, Illinois, United States
Registration Date 29 Mar 1984
Registration Place , Cook, Illinois
Gender Female
Father's Name Theophilus Ceruti
Father's Birthplace Italy
Father's Age 38
Father's Estimated Birth Year 1878
Mother's Name Maria Nicola Meloni
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Age 33
Mother's Estimated Birth Year 1883
Certificate Number 204314
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cheroti101 »

My Uncle has an original boarding pass of his. I have seen it before but have forgot the information. But i did remember it did say bracciante on it. I just called him less than a week ago to have him send me a copy of the paper. I will look at all of this information when I get back home tonight and study it. Thank you so much. If I just have that orginal paper from my uncle it can put things into better perspective.
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cheroti101 »

The paper I did see I remember he left from the port of Genoa. So perhaps that was the first time he came to the u.s. and said he was from orvieto.
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cheroti101 »

I totally believe you are correct though. Im trying to see if I can zoom in on the manifest to see naturalization.
Cheroti101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cheroti101 »

Yes, I just need info on naturalization on birth of great grandfather on Jan, 08 1912. If he was not naturalized then I can get my citizenship.