Which documents do I actually need?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ajk1436

Which documents do I actually need?

Post by ajk1436 »

Friends,
I see all the post looking for various documents and when I go to the Houston Consulate website, I do not see any of those documents as needed. I am currently in the middle of collecting documents and I don't want any last minute surprises. Would y'all be able to advise on which documents I will need. I am going through my GGF that came to the US in 1907. My GF was born in 1917 and my GGF naturalized in 1945. I am in Texas and will be going through the Houston Consulate. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Which documents do I actually need?

Post by mler »

Ggf - birth/marriage/naturalization/death
Ggf - birth/death
Gf - birth/marriage/death
Gm - birth/death
Parent - birth/marriage/death if applicable
non-line parent - birth/death if applicable
You - birth/marriage if applicable
Spouse - birth
Children (if applicable) - birth

Although is is technically unnecessary to provide documents for non-citizenship-line ascendents, the consulates appear to require them at this time.
ajk1436

Post by ajk1436 »

Why do people always post about needing census records, ship records, ellis island records etc? I don't need any of those?
xlphillips

Post by xlphillips »

akj1436, I am kind of in the same boat (no pun intended!) as you, sorting out the docs I need. The fuzziness is finally clearing.

I was told that if my naturalization records weren't conclusive for my GGF, that I would have to bring the "next" census after the date in question, if I went through a US Consulate. If I go through a Commune, direct in Italy, that wouldn't be asked for.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

As long as you can show a direct line that clearly demonstrates how citizenship passed from one generation to the next, the document set required is very straightforward.

Often, however, there are problems (spelling and/or date discrepancies, missing documents, inconsistencies) that require more proof. Additionally, those who claim "no naturalization" have an additional burden in that consulates ask for substantiating documentation in support of the "no record" letters.

Since you do have naturalization records, assuming all documents are in order, the basic document set should be sufficient.
Cj15

Post by Cj15 »

I did my process through Houston. If there is an issue with a document or one is missing they will let you come back (without having to schedule another appointment through prenota once the document is ready. They also don't seem as picky as other consulates in the US. Don't forget forms 3 and 4 for everybody in your direct lineage.
flowerchic1

Post by flowerchic1 »

ajk1436 wrote: 07 May 2017, 20:33 Friends,
I see all the post looking for various documents and when I go to the Houston Consulate website, I do not see any of those documents as needed. I am currently in the middle of collecting documents and I don't want any last minute surprises. Would y'all be able to advise on which documents I will need. I am going through my GGF that came to the US in 1907. My GF was born in 1917 and my GGF naturalized in 1945. I am in Texas and will be going through the Houston Consulate. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
I am also preparing documents for the Houston consulate.
Did you have your appointment yet? Did they ask you for anything that wasn´t expected?
kll

Post by kll »

Hello mler, or anyone who may know:

Do you know if the documents for non-citizenship-line ascendents need to be certified originals? Or will a photocopy suffice? (I am preparing for an appointment with the Chicago consulate.)

Also, my Ggf's spouse was also Italian-born, and it appears now that Chicago is requiring an apostille on documents for Italian-born spouses' documents. Do you think this also means that I will need an original of her Italian birth certificate? I currently only have access to a photocopy.

My cousin obtained citizenship a while back, and he only had to provide photocopies of her birth certificate as well as other non-citizenship-line ascendents documents at the consulate in Miami. However, that was several years ago.

Any advice folks are able to provide would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Karina
MKGerace

Post by MKGerace »

Hello everyone,
I am considering attempting through my GF because of a possible error on census. My father born 1920 but not listed on 1920 census. GF noted naturalized 1914. 1930 census merely says NA (naturalized). This would disqualify me if true. I have USCIS letter “no naturalization record” and a county court letter “no naturalization record”. I am applying through Houston consulate. The website says I need the USCIS letter AND census closest after date of my ascendent’s birth. Must I present the census record when I have an Agency and Court stating none exists? Or to state my real concern, which documents carry more weight? I would thing the county court over the error-riddled census.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It should carry more weight, but it doesn’t always. You’re right, the census was often riddled with errors, but consulates look to them for confirmation. Proving a negative is usually more difficult than showing a specific naturalization date. That your gf was twice listed as naturalized on the census may, therefore, be an issue for you.

The 1920 census was quite specific as to dates; are you absolutely sure he did not naturalize?

I’m not certain of this, but I believe that if you apply in Italy, census documentation may not be required.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The rule is that if you come up empty on proof of naturalization, you must also submit the census.