Naturalization Records Advice Needed

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
scmitrani

Naturalization Records Advice Needed

Post by scmitrani »

Hi all,

I have been able to locate, on my own, my GGF's Declaration of Intention, and possibly his Petition (Last name discrepancy, have to confirm in person). I have obtained the certified copy of his Declaration today.

The declaration is dated after the year my GF was born, so my GGF still an Italian citizen when my GF was born, satisfying that requirement.

I am applying for dual citizenship in NY. Is the Declaration of Intention enough to satisfy the Naturalization records requirement for the interview, since it is dated after my GF's date of birth? Or do I still need to submit a USCIS index search to see if a final Certificate of Naturalization exists? That alone should be logical proof, but my GGF's death certificate states he was a USA citizen when he died.

I still plan on submitting the index search, but I have heard it can take a long time to get the results back, and then another long wait to actually receive the documents. My consulate appointment is in April 2018, so I'm a little concerned about the time-frame and wanted to see if anyone has satisfied the Naturalization records requirement with only the Declaration of Intention.

Thanks!