"G-grandpas Birth Certificate destroyed in fire

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Pagliassotti

"G-grandpas Birth Certificate destroyed in fire

Post by Pagliassotti »

Hello! Hoping anyone can kindly help me here. Several people in my family hope to reclaim Italian citizenship. Two of my maternal great grandparents were born in Bosconero, which is a small town near Torino. I traveled there 2-3 yrs ago and obtained a copy of their marriage certificate. However, the town hall told me their birth certificates were destroyed in a fire. My great grandfather's name was Carlo Pagliassotti, born in 1873, and his wife, Teresa Pene, was born in 1875 (we have the ship's manifest and U.S. supporting documents confirming their birth years).

To complicate things further, their marriage certificate from Bosconero spells Carlo' s last name with an "o" at the end instead of an "i." There are both Pagliassottis and Pagliassotos in Bosconsero. But in Carlo's signature on the document, the last letter doea seem to be an "i" and is formed differently from the "o" at the end of his first name. His signature is similar on U.S. documents--its Pagliassotti with an "i," and later he and my grandfather started spelling their names with only one "s."

My brother might visit Bosconero in February of 2018, three months from now. Apparently the church records were burned (?) And the town hall said no one could help us. But now I read online that the state (is that Piedmont?) should have duplicate records. Is that correct? Also, would the diocese have a copy the baptismal records? We are hoping to send out inquiries before my brother travels. Any suggestions?

To help our case,
my brother might take 10 DNA kits and try to establish that we are related to people from Bosconero and share common grandparents somewhere up the lines of our family trees . Would DNA matches mean anything to the courts?

Does anyone know of someone in Bosconero or Torino who might be able to help us? And does anyone know of any good immigration lawyers there?

Last, my other maternal great-grandparents are from Trento. I read that people were allowed to claim nationality through ascendents feom Trent from 2000-2010, but now that door is closed. Is that correct?

Many thanks for any help, Constance
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: "G-grandpas Birth Certificate destroyed in fire

Post by suanj »

you could ask for the Turin state archive
  the certificate / copy in accordance with a stamp (of 16 €) of the birth record of the your ancestor, required for Italian citizenship purpose.
and on this certification the Archive Director attests that from filed documents in the Turin Archive of State, resulting that your ancestor was born in Bosconero, etc etc.. and the full copy stamped attached

In the Municipal archives are the first copy of civil records, and by that the civil records officer can relay, to issue... lacking some records, the customer can ask no a birth certificate( only the Commune's clerk can relay it) in the Archive of State (where are thesecond copy of civil records), but can ask a Director's certification abt birth record and full copy (attached to certification), with tax stamp (legal value)... the Italian Consulate accept it, just it is enough, that you have to have a written document ( letter/email or so), in which Bosconero clerk affirm that cannot relay because the birth records was destroyed by fire.... and so all these documents replace the birth certificate

best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Abt surname Pagliassotti/Pagliassotto: it is no a big problem... don't worry abt that...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

You can open an account on an Italian genealogy site (https://www.tuttogenealogia.it)
https://www.tuttogenealogia.it/user.php ... NS-NewUser

Then write your post here:
https://www.tuttogenealogia.it/index.ph ... forum&f=25

or send a pm to Ziadani, who is an expert in the Turin area
https://www.tuttogenealogia.it/modules. ... me=ziadani
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

While you're free to choose where you would like to post I would think with all the members here someone should be able to answer you're question! 🤔😒
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

These options are not mutually exclusive!!
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱