1948 rule and name change of italian grandparent

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
locuspetal

1948 rule and name change of italian grandparent

Post by locuspetal »

I have two main questions about a name change and the 1948 rule.

I want to obtain citizenship through my grandmother who was born in 1930 in italy. She eventually moved to the usa and married my grandfather and had my father in 1957. She waited until 1967 to become a naturalized citizen of the US. Does it sound like I would be eligible?

My second question is a bit more complicated. My grandmothers birth name on her certificate is gorini. Before moving to the usa, her mother remarried. On all her documents in the usa the last name is Valle. (that of her stepfathers). But, on her birth certificate from Italy there is an offical stipulation on the side that says her step father agrees to officialy adopt her. Anyone ever heard of something like this?
mler
Master
Master

Re: 1948 rule and name change of italian grandparent

Post by mler »

First of all, this is not a 1948 case since your father was born in 1957. So, yes, you’re eligible.

Your grandmother was adopted by her stepfather, so that explains the name change. Did her birth father die, or was there a divorce (I’m guessing the former since divorce was not common in Italy).

You would need to obtain evidence of your ggm’s first marriage, the death of her first husband (or divorce documents if that’s what caused the dissolution of the marriage), her second marriage and any adoption papers that are available.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I should qualify my last post. If your grandmother’s birth father was Italian, this is not a 1948 case.
locuspetal

Post by locuspetal »

He was Italian but we know nothing about him just his name. They were never married. It says nothing on my grandmothers birth certificate about him (she took her mothers last name). Why would I need his information? From what I understand my grandma could hold italaincitizenship before 1948, but not pass it on. Since my dad was born in 1958 I would be claiming citizenship through my grandma, which she could pass on because it was after 1948 no?
locuspetal

Post by locuspetal »

To add, on her birth certificate it says she's an Italian citizen.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If her step-father legally adopted her in Italy, and he was also an Italian citizen, it seems you could qualify through him. Legally adopted minor children of Italian citizens obtained Italian citizenship from their Italian adoptive parents (father at that time).

If her Italian birth certificate states she was an Italian citizen, it seems that would be enough. You probably need to go back further only to explain the name change.
locuspetal

Post by locuspetal »

Her step father was an American Orginally from Italy. They were shortly she married, she never gained citizenship through him.on her birth certificate it speaks of her adoption, hopefully that's enough. Thanks for the help