1948 case, proof of naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kltbtd

1948 case, proof of naturalization

Post by kltbtd »

I am new to this forum, registered today, and cannot find answers to my questions here or in another forum on this subject. I would appreciate any assistance.

I want to pursue a 1948 case. Both of my grandparents were born in Italy. My grandfather was naturalized in 1918 and married my grandmother in 1921. My mother was born in 1924 and I was born in 1952. I have read on several forums that the Cable Act does not apply here because Italy does not recognize this U.S. law.

I received no record letters from USCIS and NARA for my grandfather. However, I now have his Certificate of Naturalization, Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegiance. The Certificate of Naturalization is from Newark NJ Court of Common Pleas and cannot have an Apostille applied since it is not a State-issued document.

I wrote to USCIS and NARA and sent copies of his Certificate of Naturalization, Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegiance and have not yet received a response. My question is how can I find a document to prove he was a citizen? Would a certified letter (new letter) from USCIS stating he was naturalized suffice if they reissue a letter to me? I asked an attorney specializing in 1948 cases if the Certificate of Naturalization and Oath of Allegiance would be acceptable proof and they are not since theoretically the petition could have been rejected.

Thank you.
mler
Master
Master

Re: 1948 case, proof of naturalization

Post by mler »

Actually, the certificate of naturalization and the oath of allegiance prove that the petition was not rejected. Had it been rejected, he would not have taken the oath and would not have received a naturalization certificate.

It’s true that Italy does not recognize US law, only it’s own. Thus, although pre-Cable Act your gm would have been considered a US citizen by the US, to Italy, she remained Italian.