Help Aquiring Certified Naturalization Certificate in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ROSIEonFIRE

Help Aquiring Certified Naturalization Certificate in NYC

Post by ROSIEonFIRE »

Hey every one. I am trying to o rain a certified apostilled copy of my GG-GFs naturalization certificate. He was naturalized in Manhattan in 1920 at the Supreme court.

I called the archival records department and gave them the volume and page number. They said they didn't have the certificate and told me to mail a 10$ money order to the NY County Clerk at 60 Center st. Rm 161 with a note containing the volume and page number requesting the document. He seemed quite certain regarding this.

That being said, before sending my money order I decided to call them just to check and the person I spoke with there said that I would need to get an Info Pass Appointment with the department of homeland security in order to obtain it, then bring it to the clerks to authenticate it, then send to the department of State for apostille.

Can anyone clear this up for me? How do I get a certified copy of the naturalization certificate from the NYC Supreme court?
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help Aquiring Certified Naturalization Certificate in NYC

Post by hallsandgrants »

What is your GG-Gf's name on his naturalization certificate? Have YOU tried doing a basic search for his naturalization certificate yourself on-line, just to prove it exists? If you don't know how to do that, and are comfortable sharing his full name on this message topic, please do so. Then some of us could search for the certificate on-line and find it for you. It will not be a certified copy, but may have a case number (or "volume and page" number) on it. Once you have a regular copy of the certificate it surely will help the government find the original copy in their records for certification (your message said "they didn't have the certificate."). Ciao, Eric
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE »

Hi Eric!

I have searched quite extensively online for the certificate and I do believe it exists. That being said, I am fairly new to genealogical research and would certainly appreciate some second opinions. I do not think a copy of the actual naturalization certificate itself exists online but I would be ecstatic if someone were able to dig it up somewhere! My GG-GF's info is as follows:
Leonardo Corrado
Born 03/22/1882, Pisticci, Matera, Basilicata, Italy
Arrived 05/08/1904 on the Regina Elena at Ellis Island
Declaration of intent volume/133 record #65985 Declaration 1917 USDC-NY-Southern District (MAY be correct info, I didn't see a picture of the actual document so there isn't much corroborating info and it seems strange that he would file a Petition of Intent so many years AFTER arriving in the US but who knows)
Naturalized 9/9/20 Vol 387 Page 145 per naturalization index card from Family Search in Manhattan, at the time he was naturalized he lived at 202 Thompson st
One census seems to have "supreme" written in as the location of naturalization
Married to Angelina Cerabona de Pace, also from Pisticci, probably in 1907 in Manhattan
Had 2 children, my G-GF Dominick/Domenico and John, a dentist
also my GG-GF was a paper dealer, I believe

Considering I have the volume and page number plus the date of his naturalization I feel like it should be discoverable, but after the conversations I had with different records departments in NYC I feel deeply confused and was hoping someone might have had experience dealing with these particular agencies. I appreciate any help!
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hallsandgrants »

I did not exhaust all search possibilities with the databases on Ancestry, but I too only found an index card with Leonardo Corrado’s name and the (volume?) 134 and (record number?) 65985 on it. I will leave it at that for now. But I work in Washington DC just a couple of blocks from the national archives. I have gone there to pull my ancestors Civil war pension records in the past. But now I need to do some naturalization record research there. When I do that I will keep Leonardo Corado’s name in mind and see what if any records may be there. Keep an eye on this thread and I will post an update in late March / early April - if you still are at a brick wall. Ciao, Eric