Customs House Ship Manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Customs House Ship Manifest

Post by Tessa78 »

Just in case I haven't mentioned it before... you can write directly to the comune of Afragola to request the marriage of Angela Balsamo and Vincenzo Giacco in 1930 :-)

Send no $$, but do send your photo ID and an email address at which you can be contacted about the possible cost of copying and mailing your document(s). Write your request in Italian (help below)

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio, 1
80021 Afragola (NA)
ITALY

Help with letters:
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... tter3.html
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... talrecords

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Thank you for all the templates. I will try.
Maybe the marriage will give additional information on the family...

In 1930, she is already 34 years old.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

does this letter make sense, should I be asking for something else, and do I need to send return paid postage:

Citta' di Afragola

Piazza Municipio, 1
80021 Afragola (NA)
ITALY

23 aprile 2018

Egregi Signori,

Vi sarei grato se poteste cercare il certificato di matrimonio per il seguente nome e se poteste inviare l'estratto:

Vincenzo Giacco e sua moglie Angela Balsamo, sposati il 23 ottobre 1930.

Per favore, fammi sapere quanto ti devo e come posso pagarti.

Ringraziando fin d'ora per quanto potrete fare, Vi porgo cordiali saluti,

[signature]

My Name
Address
Email…
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

stfrancis wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 03:54 does this letter make sense, should I be asking for something else, and do I need to send return paid postage:

Citta' di Afragola

Piazza Municipio, 1
80021 Afragola (NA)
ITALY

23 aprile 2018

Egregi Signori,

Vi sarei grato se poteste cercare il certificato di matrimonio per il seguente nome e se poteste inviare l'estratto:

Vincenzo Giacco e sua moglie Angela Balsamo [Angela e' nata 1897 di Giuseppe Balsamo e Giovanna Moccia, #782]. Vincenzo e Angela erano sposati il 23 ottobre 1930, a Afragola.

Per favore, fammi sapere quanto ti devo e come posso pagarti.

Ringraziando fin d'ora per quanto potrete fare, Vi porgo cordiali saluti,

[signature]

My Name
Address
Email…
I added the information for Angela. It is always a good idea to provide as much information as possible about the person(s) since there may be many in the town with the same name :-)

You need not send any return postage - BUT you can send a Self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope if you wish.

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Ok, thank you

So the self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope is just for once they confirm they are sending me the documents ?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

stfrancis wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 22:00 Ok, thank you

So the self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope is just for once they confirm they are sending me the documents ?
Just a courtesy to be included with our request - they probably won't use it :-)

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

It is sent, thank you. :shock:

I am thinking of preparing another request for family information, relating to Vincenzo Balsamo, siblings, and parents, for the period 1860 to 1880. I am not sure if Afragola could send me a family status or certificate for that time period or how to go about it ?

I would also be interested in obtaining military information on the family, especially Vincenzo, or his brother Giuseppe.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It is best to ask for only one document per letter.

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

I found this, only by Google search, it looks like each section has different addresses:

http://www.comune.afragola.na.it/portal ... edit&id=66
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

From this site alone I have read of various documents:

- stato di famiglia
- folio di famiglia
- scheda anagrafica
- scheda di famiglia which seems to also include certificato storico di famiglia
- I also read about a " residence" certificate...

I already have most, but possibly not all birth registrations from Family Search, but I would like more details as to to this family unit, such that it may exist.

It's confusing as to which is what, but my understanding is I should ask for the certificato storico or folio famiglia, as unlikely as it might be.

From what I know so far, the first child was born in 1857 and the last in 1870, not including children from a second marriage...

My understanding is I need to write the Afragola ANAGRAFE with as much information as possible, concentrating on the years in question.

I was thinking of the following letter as a template and I dont know if this is a good starting point (this was a letter which I already started to modify from a template on this website):

Citta' di Afragola

Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Municipio, 1
80021 Afragola (NA)
ITALIA

24 aprile 2018

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo.......(Name and Last Name).....e vivo in Montreal, Canada, e sto facendo un studio sulla storia della mia famiglia. Potrebbe indicarmi se nell'anagrafe del suo comune si conservano documenti (già sia schede famiglia, o fogli di famiglia) corrispondenti all'anno 1857 -1871?
In caso affermativo, potrebbe inviarmi lo Stato di Famiglia appartenente alla famiglia di: Balsamo.

Capofamiglia: Pasquale Balsamo
Data di nascita: 1838
Figlio di: Federico Balsamo
Sposa : Celeste Moccia

Loro vivevano in Afragola, strada Santa Maria, nell'anni 1857 -1871, anni dopo (1892 -1893) una parte della famiglia emigrò negli Stati Uniti (New York).
Lo prego mi faccia sapere il costo di questa certificazione e la forma di pagamento. Allego alla presente fotocopia della mia carta d’identita.
Nell’attesa di una Sua risposta e ringraziola in anticipo per la Sua cortese attenzione, Le porgo i miei distinti saluti.

Dati personali: (Name and Last Name, postal address and e-mail).
Nome e cognome:
Recapito postale:
E-mail:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You may want to read this post about the Stato di Famiglia...

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... %20storico

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

I find the opinions somewhat confusing. Also, everyone has a different opinion and until tried no one can truly know.

Maybe there is no point in the Stato di Famiglia document since I can do a lot of that myself, but I wish I had more details, in case they exist.

Still considering asking for something more, just not sure what :?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Maybe this link will provide more information...

http://italygen.com/genealogicalrecords ... Italy.html

T.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Yes, I saw that also, thank you.

I am rewriting a draft letter to ask if either or both of the certificates exist or can be compiled and for how much. I will reference the time period of about 1850 to 1900, to be sure. I will add a bit more information about his marriage also.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Go for it :-)

Hope they can do something for you.

T.