I'd really like to Jur Sangunis

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
HerRosesNeverFall

I'd really like to Jur Sangunis

Post by HerRosesNeverFall »

I would like to do it mostly for the opportunity to pursue a B.A. for a fraction of what it would be in the US and universal healthcare.

The only line I can do it through is my Maternal Grandfather as my Maternal Grandmother's family naturalized before their children were born.

My Great-Grandfather was born between 1885-1886 in Naro, Argentino, Sicily and according to the US census records going up to 1940 (the year that he died) and his World War I draft card, he never naturalized and never intended to do so. My grandfather was born in 1930. My mother was born in 1954 and myself in 1989. Since I have a male line until the 1950's I think this means I've avoided the 1948 rule?

My biggest concern is that there are a lot of discrepancies with my Great-Grandfather and even my Grandfather. My Great-Grandfather's birth name was Salvatore but US census records list him as "Samuel." His World War II Draft Card says his birthday was May 11th 1885, but his tombstone just says "1886". My grandfather's Birthname was "Calogero" but apart from his W-2 from Korea and maybe his SS card he was always called "Carlo." Hell, that was the name I knew him as. Our last name- Iacolino- DEFINITELY misspellings, though it's mostly in US census and Elis Island Immigration records.

I'm also wondering if I'll come into any trouble since I don't have any information on my biological father. My birth certificate does not list a father at all and my last name is my mother's maiden name (i.e. Iacolino.). Even if it did- if Ancestry DNA is any indication- the man wasn't Italian to start with.
mler
Master
Master

Re: I'd really like to Jur Sangunis

Post by mler »

You have your work cut out for you. Obtaining citizenship Jure Sanguinis is a labor-intensive process. When you also need to document “no-naturalization” and correct major discrepancies, it becomes considerably more difficult.

That being said, some of the problems may not be so major. For example, the consulate will not be interested in what is on a tombstone. You will have to find some way to reconcile the name discrepancies, particularly the various spellings of your family’s surname. Ellis Island and passenger records are not required; you will need consistency in birth, marriage, death and naturalization records if applicable.

That you father is not listed on your birth certificate is less important because you are documenting your mother’s line, but an affidavit from her would be helpful in case the consulate asks for something to that effect.

Salvatore/Samuel, Calogero/Carlos are not simple translations of Italian names (like Giovanni/John), so you need to find some documentation that makes the connection.